Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Airborne wicker pannier from Normandie

hello,
    i have find this "wicker pannier" in top condition, directly find in BAVENT in Normandie. I think it was used for the british airborne but i have no idea about this model and what is the content ? there is a stamp on the web H.Q.S. or H.Q.5, a date 1940 with the made J.COLLINS & SON LTD LONDON. Thanks very much for your help !!! best regards.

Whilst not an expert, I do have 3 panniers of this type from WW2 that belonged to a former Para.

The ones I have are W/I\D marked and dated 1944 by being stamped into the wood, not printed. There are no other markings on them apart from "1 Para" in faded paint on the side of one of them.

The one you have shown to me looks like a civilian version due to the large naming (unusual for a military object). That said, it could be a case of having been pressed into service.

I'm sure someone else with better knowledge will be able to assist.

Comment

this a link with an information about this medical wicker pannier :

http://www.spanglefish.com/16parachu...?pageid=105902

Comment

Standard British army wicker pannier

These were issued to many army units. I was the Curator of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives for many years and they have one which had been used by our unit's headquarters in Italy and Holland in WWII. It too has the canvas rain resistant top cover. A handy, portable, light but durable container.

I have one in my collection that is without a top canvas cover.

The airborne wicker panniers tended to be expandable (rather than hinged fixed size like this one), like the WWII British mess tins where the bottom nestles inside the top. The straps allowed it to be compacted (save space) or expanded as needed.

You have a nice find but it is not necessarily airborne.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X