Royal Dragoons - American colonial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Dragoons - American colonial

Did the King's Royal Dragoons stationed in the American colony prior to the Revolution have a numerical or other designation other than Royal Dragoons?

If so, what would that have been?

Originally posted by Bluehawk View Post
    Did the King's Royal Dragoons stationed in the American colony prior to the Revolution have a numerical or other designation other than Royal Dragoons?

If so, what would that have been?
    1st Royal I think, Would have to look that up. The name changed in 1750s if memory serves me correctly

Comment

I don't believe the 1st Royal Dragoons ever served in North America, at least prior to 1775.
      The only two regular cavalry regiments that served during the Revolution were the 16th & 17th Light Dragoons, both later converted to lancer regiments after the Napoleonic Wars.
      The Royals may have served in Canada in the 19th century, but I am doubtful.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thank you both.

My 8th great grandfather, Caleb Polleckfield Litton, Sr (1678-1763) served, according to records, in the Royal Dragoons as a colonist here. He was born in Autre, Ottery St Mary's, Devonshire England and died in Rockville, Maryland.

So, it would be either 16th or 17th Light Dragoons then?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehawk View Post
          Thank you both.

My 8th great grandfather, Caleb Polleckfield Litton, Sr (1678-1763) served, according to records, in the Royal Dragoons as a colonist here. He was born in Autre, Ottery St Mary's, Devonshire England and died in Rockville, Maryland.

So, it would be either 16th or 17th Light Dragoons then?
          Since your ancestor died in 1763, at the end of the Seven Years War, his service with the Royals,could well have been with the Duke of Marlborough in the early 1700's , when he would have been in his mid to late 20's.
          He would, of course, been far too old to serve in the Seven Years War.
          Could he have emigrated to North America after his military service?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
            Since your ancestor died in 1763, at the end of the Seven Years War, his service with the Royals,could well have been with the Duke of Marlborough in the early 1700's , when he would have been in his mid to late 20's.
            He would, of course, been far too old to serve in the Seven Years War.
            Could he have emigrated to North America after his military service?

Bob Shoaf
            His father, Michael, and his mother, Johanna both died in 1720 in Devonshire. That fact sort of suggests he might well have departed the island afterward, but I cannot be sure form the record thus far.

I wish I knew more about what was happening in the 1720s in England and Devon, and will try to investigate that more. Perhaps there will be some historical movement or something that resulted in an unusual number emigrating to the colony?

Thank you for giving me a direction.

The oral tradition in our paternal family always held that our ancestors were Ulster Irish. Research, however, instantly showed that only one was ever actually born or lived in Ulster, to a father who had been a Scots border Reiver, who himself moved to Kirkconnell from England and whose own father emigrated from the borders to Massachussets in 1655.

Fascinating stuff, all in all. Makes me wish I could have a long sabbatical to the old sod in order to scrounge the documents in person.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X