Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF or Commando-watches?

Hello,

Being a bit of a watch buff but also a World war 2 nerd, I have started to look around a bit for different issue watches. I know the Germans had some, like the so-called "B-Uhr" for the Luftwaffe, but how was it in Commonwealth? Did they have any issue watches of their own or did they wear private purchase watches, within for example the RAF or within Commando units?

I have googled a bit, but all I seem to find are "Military" watches, in other words watches made to look military without any real historical connection.

Any pictures or model names would be very interesting!

Best regards,
    Lars

Hi
    This link gives a detailed technical history of the British military watch from 1870 http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/photos/watch.htm

Regards

James
    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

I still sometimes wear my old British Army G10 watch, made by CWC. These have been around since at least the 1970s but I don't know how far back they go before this. It may be a starting point for you though

Comment

Hi Lars, I have a RAF watch which was issued to a RAAF pilot during WW2. He was with 1 Sqn RAAF and won a DFC (he sunk the first Japanese ship of WW2 which was 6 hours before Pearl Harbour was attacked) before being captured by the Japanese. He had this watch the whole time he was a POW and gave it to me along with a few other items.

Regards
        Alan
        Attached Files

Comment

They broadly fall into two specific categories, the ATPs and the WWWs - both being of a simple uniform pattern. The ATPs were manufactured by numerous firms, such as Buren, Cortebert, Cyma, Ebel, Enicar, Eterna, FHF, Grana, Lemania, Limi, Moeris, Montillier, Omega, Reconvillier, Record, Rotary, Timor, and Unitas. The WWWs - which came later on were also manufactured by various firms and are referred to by collectors as the 'dirty dozen'.

I have a Timor ATP you can have if you like. It needs a service/repair, but I'll lob it in a jiffy bag and send it Sweden-wards if you can give it a good home.

Comment

Hiya Lasse,

The WWW watches (Windproof, Waterproof, Watch) are generally considered to be issued to the RAF Pilots/Navigators with the more famous makers fetching a premium (Jaeger Lacoutre, Omega, IWC).

The ATP for the army had a range which Tony described above

Complete the "Dirty Dozen" and you'll have a fair few thousand worth. I'm only at 3 out of 12!

Always be on the look out for the circle "T" on Rolex, though not strictly WW2....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7392129.stm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X