Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for our Czech members

Hi,

I recently picked up a little grouping from a Czech soldier who was with the Czechoslovakian army in exile in Great Britain during WW2.

In the group was a little card that said:

"Joy - Jarke, till we meet again"

The mans first name was Jaroslav and I was wondering if "Jarke" could be a nickname for Jaroslav.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Bill

Jarek would be a common nickname for Jaroslav
    Na Shledanou, or until we meet again, is a common form of saying good bye in CZ language.
    Hope this helps

Comment

You just beat me to it, Joe . Jarek is the diminutive for Jaroslaw in Polish, also.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the help but it clearly says "Jarke" not Jarek. Is Jarke also a nickname for Jaroslav?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Bill

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. I'm trying to think of the different situations which could cause it. Joy could have misheard the unusual name when he was introduced, called him "Jarke" and he wrote it that way in a humorous vein. He was unfamiliar with correct English because it should be 'til instead of till.

Comment

I would love to see the grouping, if you would be interested in sharing. My Uncle served in the Czechoslovak RAF 311 Squadron during the war as an air gunner. I find such stories fascinating!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X