RCN Epaulette/Shoulder Boards for ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCN Epaulette/Shoulder Boards for ID

Posting here a pair of shoulder boards that require identification and dating. They certainly appear to be Royal Canadian Navy from the small brass buttons which appear on them. The King's Crown could indicate that they are WW2 or possibly WW1 vintage.

My first reaction was that they belonged to a Chaplain of the Jewish faith, given the Star of David design of the bullion tape sewn to the board and the purple rank stripe.

However, my research to date led me here:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp/t-1845.html

and I note that in terms of WW2:

"5) There were 9 full-time Jewish chaplains serving in Canada’s military after 1941; CASF and RCAF – no RCN Jewish chaplains. There were also several part-time Jewish chaplains who served in various cities in Canada. Jewish chaplains during WW2 (there were none in service after the war until recently) came under the administration and establishment of either the army’s or RCAF’s Protestant chaplain services.

6) After 1941, the RCAF and RCN were given their own officially recognized and separate chaplain services. These chaplains reported to either a Chief of the RCAF Chaplain Service or a Chaplain of the Fleet. As with the army there were parallel organizations for RCs and Protestants. Prior to that point, the army supplied chaplain resources, or civilian officiating chaplains were supplied (an officiating chaplain is generally a civilian under contract to the military) to the navy and air force. Obviously, these services were much smaller than their army counterpart. After the war, the RCAF and RCN chaplain services continued as a separate entity to the CCS and later, the RCAChC (after 1948) until the three services unified in 1968 under a Principal Chaplain or Chaplain General (RC or Protestant)."

This leads me to think that the boards may date from WW1, but I have found no references to corroborate that. They certainly appear to be of older vintage given the condition.

The buttons are sewn to the epaulette. The reverse underlay is a type of burlap material.

I would be grateful if any member of this Forum can shed some light on these shoulder boards for me.

Thanks and regards,

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwburchell; 07-13-2012, 10:24 PM.

Close-up and reverse pictures:
    Attached Files

Comment

Wavy Navy ? I am sure I have seen this before on a Merchant Navy uniform . I will have to use my powers of recall , which are currently a bit fuzzy . Rob
      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks, Rob. A retired RCN Commander friend had also suggested to me that these might be Merchant Marine insignia.

I also posted the epaulettes on the GMIC and have received the feedback that, "...it is the shoulderboard of a Skipper (Warrant-Officer) of the Canadian Royal Naval Reserve, Engineers Branch (purple)..." and "....pre-1969 Royal Canadian Naval Reserve ranks". Given the King's Crown on the button, that should date them to pre-1953.

So, I was way-off on my assumption regarding Jewish chaplain shoulder boards! Glad to learn something new.

Anyone care to venture an opinion as to the approximate value of this pair?

John
        Last edited by jwburchell; 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

To be exact they are RCNR Sub-Lt Engineering Branch and as for value in near relic condition not much.

The translation from civy rank to military was odd to say the least as at that time ranks where not as standardizes as it is today. On civy street he would of been a Fourth engineer/third assistant engineer or in other words the lowest commissioned working rank.

Canada was odder still as 90% of our merchant fleet (by tonnage) was stuck in the great lakes. So a senior master with 20 years in could have 0 time on the Ocean?

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, "byterock"....always good to have the facts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X