MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sykes Fairbairn knife marking. Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sykes Fairbairn knife marking. Any Ideas?

I purchased a Sykes Fairbairn and scabbard because I thought the worn (brown) scabbard looked legit and I needed a scabbard for another Sykes I have that was missing the scabbard. I didn't pay a great deal, $50, and it came through casual channels rather than a militaria dealer. Now I am wondering what the knife is? It has 1/8" thick guard, little bit of the blade tip broken like you often see, and I would have thought it had the look of WWII production except that it does not have the raised casting mold number you expect to see on the grip. No broad arrow, no "England " export mark, no other marking except two delicate "M" markings stamped into the grip as in the picture, oriented one way on one side, and the opposite way on the other. There is also a slight flat on the blade one side where it enters the handle, but not the other side. Anybody have any ideas?
    Attached Files

Seems to be a late-WW2 3rd pattern. As you mentioned it should have the grip casting numeral to be WW2, however there are known examples that do not have this. In having said that it could perhaps be of later manufacture. The "M" markings are new to me and not something I have seen before. For the money you paid, including the scabbard, a very good deal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X