Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caterpillar Club POW Letter

Hello,

I've come across a letter sent to a "Sgt Henry Reid" of the RCAF on behalf of the caterpillar club congratulating him on successfully using one of their chutes. Unfortunately there is no pin to go along.

The postal information on the letter is as follows.

Aug 26 1943

Gefangenennummer 27118
    M-stammlager V111 B
    Deutchland

Stamped (censor i imagine)
    GEPRUFT 68

Also enclosed are 2 pictures, One of a pair of hands peeling potatoes (with a spoon) while shackled and another of a mans hands shackled to his waist holding a red cross box.

Apparently these were taken with a spy camera (they are about the size of cigarette card) to prove that they were being mistreated as they were not supposed to be in chains.

I also have several pictures of the man in question.

any opinions on value here?

Originally posted by gmac1986 View Post
    Hello,

Also enclosed are 2 pictures, One of a pair of hands peeling potatoes (with a spoon) while shackled and another of a mans hands shackled to his waist holding a red cross box.

Apparently these were taken with a spy camera (they are about the size of cigarette card) to prove that they were being mistreated as they were not supposed to be in chains.

As you describe them they are common photos most-likely added to the group well after the war.

I think someone is trying to pad the group a little.

A infamous indecent where the Germans shacked Canadian POWs after Dieppe raid
    Last edited by byterock; 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X