No announcement yet.

WW2 10th Parachute Battalion Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, at first glance I'd've taken those two to be wearing 2nd Div crossed keys on black patches.
    The History of The First Battalion The Lincolshire Regiment in India, Arakan, Burma and Sumatra September 1939 to October 1946 has a representaion of the X on round backing on the front cover - ah, I think that's where you found the photo? There's an equally poor shot of the rectangular hat patch on another page as well.

Comment

I can see how the badge could be mistaken for 2nd Div. That pic was taken during the invasion of Ramree Island and you are are correct it did some from that book. Somewhere I have a scan of the orginal from the museum. The 1st Lincs for 4 years were part of the 26th Indian Division.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
        I can see how the badge could be mistaken for 2nd Div. That pic was taken during the invasion of Ramree Island and you are are correct it did some from that book. Somewhere I have a scan of the orginal from the museum. The 1st Lincs for 4 years were part of the 26th Indian Division.

Steve.
        Hi Steve

I have a mint 1960's denison to a LT COL in 10. Looks like he had the badges put on and then never wore it. I wil send you pics if you like.

Yours, Guy

Comment

Posted on behalf of Marc Sherrif.
          Attached Files

Comment

I found this one in a big box of cloth I have up for trade.

It is mint and it is not locally made.

Was there a standard pattern type? In other words, one that was not locally made? And is this it?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

Reverse.

Comment

. The 7th battalion Lincolnshire Regiment was converted to a Royal Artillery Light Anti-Aircraft regiment (the 102nd) late in 1941 and for a time was based near Withernsea until it moved to the Bishops Stortford area. The regiment retained its Lincolnshire connection and carried a red 'X' on a blue background as a special insignia right up to the time of its disbandment in February 1946. They landed in Normandy on D + 7 with Bofors anti-aircraft guns, which were sometimes also used in an anti-tank role. In France and again at Turnhout in Belgium the regiment fought as infantry. In November 1944 they were one of the first units to be re-armed with rocket projectiles. By the end of the war in Europe they were near the Ems-Zaole canal, and they were later based at Essen and Wilhelmshaven.

Comment

1st Battalion, 7th Battalion........wonder how many more units wore this badge . I guess only the real pro's will be able to ID which unit wore which X. From the photos it would appear the 2nd also wore a square cut a lot like the Para badge. I think I`m going to burst into tears!

LOL Jack you discovered another variation!

Steve.

Comment

Steve, I couldn't believe it when I pulled this one out of the box. There are four different types posted in this thread!

I'm sorry to hear that you have found out how many different battalions wore this type of badge!

Now you need to find out which battalion wore which type and collect them all!

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

The badge posted for Marc Sherriff, was worn by a member of 102 LAA Regt RA.

Sorry no story, just the badge from a member of 7th Bn that converted to LAA.
                      Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 08-11-2004, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Marc,

I would be very interested in the source of your information? Is it a vet obtained item with a story?

Steve.

Comment

Steve,

Here is a picture of Tex Banwell's battledress blouse. He served with the 10th battalion at Arnhem. On his blouse is the epaulette unique to the 10th battalion.

Hope this helps, from Jack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X