WW2 10th Parachute Battalion Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 10th Parachute Battalion Flash

I am looking for any information, scans or photos of the WW2 10th Parachute Battalion smock flash. The red numeral X on a black background. A lot like my avatar. Does anyone on forum have an example in their collection they could kindly post here?

If you have the book: Military Insignia of the 20th Century by Guido Rosignoli turn to page 150. I think this is a repro?

Many Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve, these drop zone flashes are all post war in origin?
    I don't collect post 1945 stuff, so sorry I cannot help you on this one.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply Ade. The reason why I ask is because the 2nd Lincolns wore a badge identical this in WW2. I am trying to establish what the difference between the two badges actually is by using your superior knowledge of Airborne.

So I am correct ins assuming that the red X was worn by the 10th Battalion TA post 45 and the 10th in WW2 wore no distinguishing flashes?

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve, that is correct. The old TA 10th battl flash was a red "X" with straight arms. I have seen it worn for many years at the drop zone on Ginkel Heath. Your avatar is much more stylised if that is the one worn by the Lincolns.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is the 10th Battl flash:

http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/images/P1A803.jpg

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Steve,

"The Tenth" wore a special epaulette in WW2. The colours of it were light blue, yellow and dark blue.

Hope this helps, from Jack

Comment

Something like this

Comment

Hi Jack, you are correct. It is a "slip on" that I would very much like to add to my collection. There is a nice example in the Hartenstein on a named BD.

Chhers, Ade.

Comment

Yeah, me too

The only Airborne slip on epaulette I have is to some obscure post war Engineer unit! I'll dig it out if I can find it

Hartenstein, oh no! They have too much nice stuff

I counted about 17 fibre rims when I went one year

Apparently, stuff goes missing from there, out the back door?

Thanks from Jack

Comment

Hi Jack, it is a private museum, so what they do is entirely up to them, but we had better not go there...

The store room, which is in the celler, would make your eyes pop out of your head I can tell you!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Oh well it is good to see all this stuff in private hands and in a place where everyone can enjoy it

Comment

My 10th Foot & 10th Para badges.
                        Attached Files

Comment

& the reverses - the Lincolns one's fallen foul of the phantom gluer.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for your help chaps especially to Liegh for the scans. Those are some real minters you have there!

You know the funny thing is I can find no photographic evidence of the Lincolns wearing a round cut patch on their arm in WW2. However, there are plenty of pics with the Battalion wearing square cut badges on their slouch hats. As this is a square cut this is where the confusion comes about. We wont even go as far as mentioning the 10th Balauch Regiment

The cover of the 2nd Battalion History shows a drawing of a round badge with a blue backing.

Here is one of my own collection. I suspect this a locally made.

Comment

You can see how dealers and collectors might get confused ....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X