1945 dated DFC and Medal Bar Picked up Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1945 dated DFC and Medal Bar Picked up Yesterday

Picked this neat little group up yesterday, to bad i didnt get a name with it but the cross is cased and dated 1945 and the miniatures are also nice, seems the guy was from South Africa? My question is do the dates on the back of the DFC make any difference in rarity? Thanks for any help i can get.
    Attached Files

pic 3

pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5

pic 5
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 7

pic 7
        Attached Files

Comment

G'day Nole. Congrats on a very nice acquisition.

I'm not too sure about relative rarity but believe that a medal group with provenance is important. Yours is essentially anonymous and could have been awarded for many circumstances spanning bravery to dedication.

I'm sure more experienced members will add to your thread.

Regards, Mike.

Comment

Dates

Your DFC cannot be identified to a recipient, so the value would be in someone wanting to purchase it to complete a group, or perhaps as a single display piece.

As I recall, earlier awards would be more desirable to some because there were fewer awards. There is also a connection to the Battle of Britain. However, I suspect that with the larger number of awards toward the end of the war there would be more people looking for a correctly dated late-war DFC to complete a group.

There are several of these for sale on various dealer's lists and they do bring a good sum of money. A very good find indeed!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the help on the medal it really is nice! since i was a kid i always wanted one, saw them in books and movies all the time and always thought it was a very cool looking medal.I had one onece that did not have a ribbon and was dated 43 but that was years ago. For some reasion im staring to get into British medals now, American medals look like cracker jack prizes compaired to the way British medals are made. Thanks to all for the comments.

Comment

An attributed group would be quite expensive. The group itself would be quite common to someone that served in the SAAF in North Africa, and Italy.
                It would appear that it was awarded in 1945, so that would narow the field a bit.
                If you could find a list of SAAF DFC recipients in 1945, perhaps you could narrow down the search. Nice pick up.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by NBolinger View Post
                  Thanks for all the help on the medal it really is nice! since i was a kid i always wanted one, saw them in books and movies all the time and always thought it was a very cool looking medal.I had one onece that did not have a ribbon and was dated 43 but that was years ago. For some reasion im staring to get into British medals now, American medals look like cracker jack prizes compaired to the way British medals are made. Thanks to all for the comments.
                  i was the same!i moved from german medals and haven't looked back since!!where did you pick the DFC from?im looking to get one for my collection at some(probably distant) point!!!

Comment

Nole, your comment about the appearance of US medals has much merit.

The US DFC in this RAAF Vietnam War group is a case in point. This fellow was seconded to the USAF for a while as a Forward Air Controller.

For some reason, the Australian government only approved wear of the Air Medal in 2009 !!

Mike
                    Attached Files

Comment

Medal Bar

Great medal bar! Very Nice, thanks for posting the picture.Ive never seen a vietnam DFC group before there cant be to many of them out there with a American Flying Cross.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X