8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked

Picked this up today and it looks a good original, though having never seen one before.....The 8th were stationed in India before the war and served with distinction in N. Africa, Italy and Burma.

Nicely marked and dated twice for 1940, with some minor damage, most of which cant be seen.

Jerry

More pics to follow
    Attached Files

more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Last of the pics.

Jerry
      Attached Files

Comment

Jerry,
        Congratulations on a nice find.

Gareth

Comment

Just a foot note.

It's Not always too good an idea to turn the sweatband inside out like that on any old military hat. Many times it will tear loose where sewn in to the hat, if the stitching is dry rotted. Leather can also tear easily , so I just thought i'd mention it, as curiosity can many times damage a nice hat like this, and one must be careful before turning any hats band inside out ,as in this case ,there is no doubt it is original. Sometimes to slightly prop the band open, and then insert a mirror to take a photo of them to see the marks is less evasive, and leaves less chance for damage . Its always a judgement call, but risky at times. Nice hat. I have some kind of old gurka officers belt buckle somewhere with a wierd insignia on the front .

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
            It's Not always too good an idea to turn the sweatband inside out like that on any old military hat. Many times it will tear loose where sewn in to the hat, if the stitching is dry rotted. Leather can also tear easily , so I just thought i'd mention it, as curiosity can many times damage a nice hat like this, and one must be careful before turning any hats band inside out ,as in this case ,there is no doubt it is original. Sometimes to slightly prop the band open, and then insert a mirror to take a photo of them to see the marks is less evasive, and leaves less chance for damage . Its always a judgement call, but risky at times. Nice hat. I have some kind of old gurka officers belt buckle somewhere with a wierd insignia on the front .
            Thanks, I was careful and I tried it a bit at a time and it is supple and there was no problem, though I doubt I will need to turn it inside out again.

And thanks Gareth.

Jerry

Comment

Very nice Jerry, thanks for sharing. The only 8th Gurkha Rifles items I have are the attached rank slides. This type were worn in Burma.

Comment

Originally posted by DJT View Post
                Very nice Jerry, thanks for sharing. The only 8th Gurkha Rifles items I have are the attached rank slides. This type were worn in Burma.
                Very nice slides and not so commonly seen in my neck of the woods.

Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X