British South Africa Medal in Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British South Africa Medal in Parts

Picked this medal up today, the rim is engraved but looks like it was reengraved or someone tryed to reengrave the name that was on it? The ribbon has a neat buckle and a 1879 bar, whats the buckle for on the top of the ribbon, i cant find any others with the same thing? Is this worth sending to the the jewler? Thanks for any advise i can get.
    Attached Files

pic 3

pic 3
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 5

pic 5
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 7

pic 7
        Attached Files

Comment

The buckle was at one time the method by which all medals were worn on a daily basis, this was later changed to a pin attachment that could not be seen. If it was mine I would have it repaired, but that is me.

Marc

Comment

i dont think a repair would add much to the value of the medal but its still nice for display.

(going by some auction houses, they tend to list repaired & renamed victorian medals at £60-80 )

Comment

Before the buckles were used, many medals were sewn directly to the tunic and long serving NCOs in particular would purchase a second set so as to have two tunics ready to wear at all times [probably a working one and a dress one]. Further, since it was illegal to sell one's medals - and there was at least one ex-soldier charged in the 1870s - the second set were sometimes name erased or renamed to match the name of the man who bought them.

Other reasons for re-naming include; spelling errors; men switching units or ranks and wanting all their medals to match; men who were technically disqualified from receiving a medal to which they thought they were entitled; over-eager descendants who had lost grandad's gongs, and [occasionally] an attempt to decieve.

Having said all that, its a lovely medal! The reverse is one of my favourites among British medals and the medal generally represents some serious soldiering! Nice find, damaged or no.

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X