Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recommendations on sources

All:
    I am looking for recommendations for sources for British Cavalry items. Having just retired from the US Army and working in industry...learned my boss (also a retired Soldier) is interested in British Cavalry militaria. He had the honor (and thoroughly enjoyed) working with the famed 17th Lancers where he became interested in British Cavallry militaria. He is looking for a buby or chapka to add to his collection as well as anything related to the 17th Lancers. He is interested in the 19th century era.
    This is a niche I know nothing about...so...any recommendations as to sources, collectors, web sites or books about British Cavalry militaria would be greatly appreciated.

V/R
    Bill

I meant "Busby"

If I could type or spell I would be dangerous...meant Busby

Comment

Hello Bill ,

the items you want are quite high end and even over here are rare lumps ,

One dealer I can totally recommend is Geoff Newman apart from hes one of the nicest straightest dealers in the game he has a very high quality british head dress collection of his own -you may well be able to leaver something tasty out of him if the prices is right ?

Have a look at his website an drooooool..............

hope this helps .

Comment

Actually EBay, especially Ebay UK has lancer czapkas and other pre-1914 cavalry headress for sale from time to time. Some are repros, but usually described as such.
        The 17th Lancers are highly collectable, and an other ranks czapka will likely be over $2,000, with an officer's over $8,000 or more.
        Q& C Militaria in Cheltenham is a good dealer, and they have a nice website.
        Blunderbuss Antiques has some good stuff, but seem expensive to me, as does Regimentals, who you have to be careful with.
        I actually collect 17th & 17th/21st Lancer items myself I have a nice side drum for the regiment, and a number of officer & other ranks headress, belt, badges, etc.
        I also had some medals to the regiment, but had to sell them; I hope I can eventually replace them.
        Back to Ebay, the seller 'Hogspear" always has some great British Militaria, and has recently sold 17th Lancers czapkas.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Gents:
          Thanks for the inforamtion and help. It is greatly appreciated. Just checked Geoff's site and it is great.

Thank you and will pass this on to my boss.
          V/R
          Bill

Comment

I just did a quick search, and found that www. CullodenAntiques.com has a very nice post-1902 17th Lancers officer czapka for $8,000 . That seems to be about the going rate.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Spencer`s Mercantile, in Hamilton, Ontario Canada has some very nice repro. British Cavalry helmets - the type worn by the Household Cavalry, sorry the name escapes me - in both silver and brass. Very very spiffy on the mantle piece and the prices are very reasonable - in the area of $450-600.00.

The only quibble I`ve heard about the quality of them is that the plumes are not real horse hair - apparently a problem to ship such across borders. I`d buy one in a minute if I had the cash! Sioux Spencer is found at: http://www.spencersmercantile.com

Good luck!
              Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                Spencer`s Mercantile, in Hamilton, Ontario Canada has some very nice repro. British Cavalry helmets - the type worn by the Household Cavalry, sorry the name escapes me - in both silver and brass. Very very spiffy on the mantle piece and the prices are very reasonable - in the area of $450-600.00.

The only quibble I`ve heard about the quality of them is that the plumes are not real horse hair - apparently a problem to ship such across borders. I`d buy one in a minute if I had the cash! Sioux Spencer is found at: http://www.spencersmercantile.com

Good luck!
                Peter
                One could be lucky, and find an authentic Household Cavalry helmet for other ranks at close to $1,000 or so. They are not as scarce as some may believe.
                For me at least, for an extra , say $500 or so, I would want a real example.
                Fortunately, I have a Life Guards helmet now, and hope someday, to purchase an officer's version.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Good on ya, Bob! Back in "B.C." [before children] I might have aspired to own one too but... SIGH... not these days. I agree, however, that for an extra $500.00 I'd probably go for the real one. Didn't realize they were so reasonably priced. Do they turn up often?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                    Good on ya, Bob! Back in "B.C." [before children] I might have aspired to own one too but... SIGH... not these days. I agree, however, that for an extra $500.00 I'd probably go for the real one. Didn't realize they were so reasonably priced. Do they turn up often?

Peter
                    I've seen them from time to time. There is a dealer IMA, who has a website, that is asking around $ 1,400 or so for supposedly unissued helmets.
                    I doubt that real helmet would be unissued, and that price seems high to me, for an enlisted helmet. Officer helmets seem to be about $5,000-6,000, which to me, is almost a "bargain", given their beauty and rarity.
                    I paid $1,200 for mine, about 20 years ago, and it's definitely been used, with a few dents. It has the Life Guards white plume, but when I last polished it, I noticed a very small marking of RHG/D, which is, of course, the Blues & Royals!
                    Therefore, it should properly have a scarlet plume.
                    Interestingly, the helmet has a King's crown, yet it was still in use into the 1970's?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
                      I've seen them from time to time. There is a dealer IMA, who has a website, that is asking around $ 1,400 or so for supposedly unissued helmets.
                      I doubt that real helmet would be unissued, and that price seems high to me, for an enlisted helmet. Officer helmets seem to be about $5,000-6,000, which to me, is almost a "bargain", given their beauty and rarity.
                      I paid $1,200 for mine, about 20 years ago, and it's definitely been used, with a few dents. It has the Life Guards white plume, but when I last polished it, I noticed a very small marking of RHG/D, which is, of course, the Blues & Royals!
                      Therefore, it should properly have a scarlet plume.
                      Interestingly, the helmet has a King's crown, yet it was still in use into the 1970's?

Bob Shoaf
                      Not unusual in the ceremonial arena of British military to use items that are very old. I suspect that much of the horse harness is more than 50 years old. With respect to the helmet I suspect that the helmet shells were fairly interchangeable.
                      I'm sure I once heard that the plumes were originally crushed whale bone!! Could that be correct?
                      Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
                      Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
                      Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X