The RAF NCO's Visor - Circa 1918-1919

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RAF NCO's Visor - Circa 1918-1919

This is a long overdue post relating to my head gear collection. I promised you chaps more ....

Below is a photo of my RAF NCO's black leather visor. The manufacturer is Ayres and Smith of London.

The visor consists of a black leather rim, brown leather sweat band and silk interior. The buttons that attach the black leather chin strap are flat and covered with a silk like Khaki material. There is a woven wool band around the middle of the cap which is stitched to the exterior.

The cap appears to be in good order with no moth nips. However, the leather sweat band has become detached from the interior.

These caps were first worn by senior NCO's of the Royal Air Force just upon its formation.

As always a dealer did try to pull the wool over my eyes with this one, declaring it was a common type worn by officers. He was also making that un-interested look at the time! If this cap is so common why have I never seen another?

Well I guess to prove this cap was worn by NCO's I will need to show you guys a few period photos from my collection .......
    Last edited by yellow; 08-02-2004, 01:38 PM.

This is a photo of the Sergeant Major 1 my visor belonged too.

Comment

Clearly more NCO's wearing the same pattern visor. This photo was taken in 1919 by the chap above at a temple in Egypt. Note the head gear of the guy in the centre.....Turkish perhaps?

Thats about all I have to tell you, as always all comments and thoughts are welcome.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X