silver rising sun badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silver rising sun badge

hey guys , whats your thoughts on this rising sun badge?

it is silver in colour.

can anyone add to this?

Members of the 1st Armoured Regiment wore a silver coloured (probably nickel plated) oversize Rising Sun badge around 1948-1952 or thereabout.

Comment

I dont know about this one Mate,
      It doesnt look like it has much age to it.
      I was going to say that it was off one of those Studio Portraits in the Wooden frame,but then i noticed the lugs.
      What is the Makers name on the back,it looks like K.G.Luke they operated between 1937 and 1974,so maybe thats a clue ?
      Cheers Mick

Comment

I think silver badges were worn by nurses.

Comment

ive worked it out , it is a 1st armoured badge from 1948-53 approx

Comment

found a pic

Taken from a website

Last edited by australia; 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

could be wrong, but i believe the 48-53 period badge should read "australian military forces" rather than ACMF?

Comment

By what I have found about this badge it might of been used as a parade badge for the Queen. Then they switched to the current badge straight after.

I have been talking to someone that actually has one of these badges and wore it

They are a solid white metal

Comment

I stand corrected , its chrome plated

"the Commander 4 Australian Armoured Brigade, BRIG D. Macarthur Onslow recommended that a chrome plated Commonwealth (Rising Sun) hat badge be worn by Armoured Corps personnel on the Black Beret instead of the ordinary copper oxidised badge.

This, he said, would give the Corps a distinctive badge which would also serve as a link with the other Armoured Corps in British Commonwealth Forces which all wore a silver badge. The proposal was approved in 1945.

The Black Beret has been worn by Royal Australian Armoured Corps troops since 1948 on parade and ceremonial duties, in barracks and also out bush on operations. It continues to be worn to this day, however during during the 1990s (circa 1992) the slouch hat with emu plumes was adopted for parades and ceremonial occasions due to the greater protection offered against the sun."

taken from website
                  http://archive.aweber.com/regimental...er_s_Call_.htm

Last edited by australia; 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

The link I posted was wrong .

Here it states more about the silver rising sun badge

http://archive.aweber.com/regimental...er_s_Call_.htm

Comment

Update

UPDATE

Quoted from ADF email .

""Regarding the silver rising sun badge as far as I know the nickel plated or silver rising suns were used by some army bands, light horse units that did not have a specific light horse badge and some Cav /armoured regiments, the nurses usually wore a collar size rising sun, during the period between 1904-1912 the army admin and instructional corp also wore an actual sterling silver rising sun hat & collars I hope this is of some help,""

More info to come

Comment

can anyone supply a picture of a soldier wearing this badge?

or a picture of a chromed rising sun badge that sill has the chrome coating

Comment

Update

Update

more info about this badge type.
                          I believe its from the BCOF "British Commonwealth Occupation Force" 1945-1949

Below is a image from 1946, chrome badge present.

below is a image of The Squadron OC, Major Cec Ives, standing alongside a Staghound Armoured Car.

Below , MP with the chrome rising sun badge visible

General Robertson, accompanied by Dr. Evatt, inspecting troops of the 66 Australian Infantry Battalion at Hiro [Japan]
                          Date(s) of creation: [ca. 1947] chrome rising sun badge visible

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X