Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 British assault jerkins query

Hi,

I have a query of how you recognize a repro assault jerkin from a real one. I know they are reproduced on a large scale.

I mean the brown cloth jerkin to wear Bren magazines as often worn by commandos.

Thanks,
    JB

Militaria #322

JB --

Militaria Magazine Issue #322 from just this May 2012 has a great article on the Assault Jerkin and includes a detailed description of the rarer khaki varient as well as the first and second models of skeleton harnesses. The author also included a description of the some of the repros currently on the market.

On the whole, the biggest tell-tales tend to be the stamps -- manufacturer + "Soft Kit" -- being of a more modern font, the type and color of edging material used, ultra-white cord used to secure the toggle closures, etc. Also, originals were made in a very substantial, heavy brown cotton material that easily keeps its form. Some repros are made in very light material that compresses too easily.

In short, there are a number of factors to look for. If there are more than a few features of an example that send "red flags" in your mind, then I'd say its a good bet the example is a copy. Originals have a look and feel that makes identifcation obvious.

Final note -- take a look at David Gordon's "Equipment of the WWII Tommy" as well. There is another rare example pictured/described -- an all white Battle Jerkin as well as skeleton versions.

Hope this helps!

S/F,
    Stu Lockhart

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X