Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dennison Smock

Hallo boys.

I'd like to know what do you think about this 2nd pattern dennison smock.
    The "source" of this smock is considered a serious collector.
    I have my opinion but I'd like to know other thoughts,

Thank you!

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

5, the last.
          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Labels don't normally come off, my impression is that it had an undesriable (1945 or later) date.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                Labels don't normally come off, my impression is that it had an undesriable (1945 or later) date.

Luc
                Hi Luc!

This was also my opinion: I always have suspect about objects without labels..! Anyway this is only a suspect! We'll never got the answer..!
                But this dennison has been hard used and washed. Perhaps it got lost..

I'm looking for a Dennison smock original british manufacturing and with the date inside (not beyond 1944), but I don't know anyone who has one to sell..
                Do you know someone? even without wings or patches.

Cheers

Comment

I have send a pm

Comment

..Other opinions..????

Comment

Opinios

Hi,
                      As Luc states,labels don't fall off,this one certainly didn't. The smock has the attributes of at least a 45 dated smock but the wartime patterns were issued after the war with later labels on them. Not having nichol Neweys is not a sign of a certain wartime dated smock. This one has wear and tear so was used or later used as a fishing jacket
                      Value or re sale is severely damaged due to its lack of label. If it is £200 then I would buy it otherwise leave it alone.
                      Regards,Ivan

Comment

The smock is consistent with what is often referred to as the "second pattern" wartime model, but the missing label does raise some questions and looks to have been deliberately removed.

Second type smocks with legitimate brass snaps continued to be made and issued well past 1945, and probably overlapped the use of austerity nickel snaps.

If you are seeking a legitimate WW2 smock, then I would not be satisfied with this one unless it came with documentation etc.

Comment

Originally posted by koalorka View Post
                          The smock is consistent with what is often referred to as the "second pattern" wartime model, but the missing label does raise some questions and looks to have been deliberately removed.

Second type smocks with legitimate brass snaps continued to be made and issued well past 1945, and probably overlapped the use of austerity nickel snaps.

If you are seeking a legitimate WW2 smock, then I would not be satisfied with this one unless it came with documentation etc.
                          Hi!
                          I agree with you.
                          Therefore I will look for another one..!

All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post

Luc
                            I agree that the cut off label is suspicious.

The scary news is that there is a chap on eBay selling reporduction British WWII labels. There is NO LEGITIMATE use for these. If restoring a uniform, this is going too far as it is not seen on display normally. Even thread counting reenactors should be happy with a label that states it is a Model 1942 whatever, but made in 2012. Several makers such as ATF (At The Front) and King and Country mark their replicas with their names or initials and fake WWII dates. After aging (artificialy or natural through reenacting) they will fool most collectors.

Comment

Hello
                              I agree with the above posts but what you have to remember is that this smock looks original whether 1945 ,46 etc, it shows all the war time spec as per second pattern. Question is, what do we pay top money for, the correct garment or a label, its like collecting a old corgi toy , it is worth more with the carboard box than just on its own.
                              point I am trying to make is that even if the label is missing it is still a genuine smock and even if you added a repo label , the smock is still real , I know the price can vary from 1945 onwards and this could be a valid reason for the removal and it is sad but this is how collecting has evolved and if something is not 100% tex book we walk away

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X