Named British Medal Lot ID Help ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named British Medal Lot ID Help ???

I just purchased these today and that they were rather cool ..I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything out about this Soldiers service or what I hjave here ...Looks like he might have served in WWI & WWII .. Help pleased ..See pictures ..1st on top row: McWilliams A.G. Col. R.E.
    2nd on top row: 2nd Lieut. AG Williams R.E.
    3rd on top row: Sgt. A.G. Williams R.E.

1st on center row: no text
    2nd on center row: Col. A.G. Mac Williams R.E.

1st on bottom row: Col. A.G. Mac Williams R.E.
    2nd on bottom rowstar-shaped medal that reads 1914-15 on the front): 32699 Spr. A.G. Williams R.E.
    3rd on bottom row: A.G. Williams RE (Other text is hard to decipher)
    4th on bottom row: Would appear to be some abbreviated variation on the word "Lieutenant" followed by A.G. Williams R.E.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

This should help you in your search:
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ine/medals.asp

Comment

I've seen a fair few Commonwealth medals but never with the sloppy naming shown here.

Mike

Comment

medals

Also if you look at the naming of the medal in post #2, you can see a different thickness to the medal where the "G.W" is versis where the "liams" is on the medal. It looks erased, then re-named.
          Paul

Comment

I don't like it...

On the 1914–15 Star:
            - 6 is smaller on the regimental number.
            -...iams is smaller than the rest of the letters.
            - numbers and letters have a 'rubbed' look around them.
            -I see lettering under the R.E.

Bit of a rank jump from Sgt., 2Lt., to Colonel. I'm no expert in British chain of command in WW1, but that seems to be quite a career. Could be 2 individuals medals, made to look like one?

Wait and see what others say, but I agree with Mike and Paul...seems a little odd.

Comment

THe DCM sadly has been renamed , and I agree I have never seen such a nervous application of letters and numbers to a star medal . The rank jump goes from Sapper ( Private) to Colonel not unknown . in World War 1 he joins up does well and ends war as Lieutenant then stays in the Army and rises to the rank of Colonel . And generally British troops did not have named WW2 medals so he likely emigrated to Canada and served in the Canadian RE anyway its all odd . Rob
              Last edited by ROBB; 05-16-2012, 01:43 AM.
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

His medal card , they may be more Rob
                Attached Files
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I wouldn't buy medals named in that manner I think the whole group has been built to scam someone.RMR

Comment

Thank You for your help...

Thank You for your help ..I do not know British medals ..This group came into a local pawn shop ...Brent

Comment

they look like a nice medals for display.

did you get them at a good price?

Comment

i checked the service numbers on the London gazette and no DCM winner comes up!and is most CERTAINLY renamed! maybe a guy who felt he was entitled to it?? the DCM though even renamed will still be worth something!could post pics of it? also had a look for an officers with that name and cant find any one! still for display not bad!
                        also with the naming notice that some of them have mac or mc in from of "william" and then "william" also has and "s" at the end!i doubt that there would be this many mistake in the naming if the soldiers/officers medal over their career!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X