RFC Grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yellow
    Thanks for the pic. The Curtis Jenny was a trainer. Do you have any photos of your grandfather in front line aircraft?
    Steve.
    I think most, if not all, the pictures have him flying this plane. Perhaps he was an instructor? I should take the time to try and get his service records, perhaps that will help.

I'll see if I can find any other pictures.

Comment

Jut because you have one photo album with pics dated 1918 it does not mean your grandfather was an instructor through out the duration of the war. His certificate is dated 1916 after all. And it appears he did serve overseas otherwise he wouldnt not have the trio.

Can you please tell me what your grand fathers forenames are......was he Charles Burton Watson by any chance?

Steve.

Comment

McClelland Barry Watson.

He was overseas with the CEF in the Royal Engineers at the beginning of the war. The photos in the album are dated from 1915 to 1917, so perhaps he was an instructor, but I imagine he probably did recon work or something along those lines.

Comment

Found him......Born Toronto 22.1.1889, had three years army experience before the Great War. 2 years with the Volunteer Engineers and another year with the Garrison Artillery. He enlisted in WW1 with Divisional Signal Company on 25th September 1914. His trade at the time was Civil Engineer and he was 25 years old.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
            Found him......Born Toronto 22.1.1889, had three years army experience before the Great War. 2 years with the Volunteer Engineers and another year with the Garrison Artillery. He enlisted in WW1 with Divisional Signal Company on 25th September 1914. His trade at the time was Civil Engineer and he was 25 years old.

Steve.
            I have a whole bunch of his engineer's pins and stuff from before the war too. Thanks for digging up that information - do you have any info on his war service or is that only available on request by me from the Gov't?

He also "served" in the Second World War, but stayed in Canada and taught at the COTC.

Thanks again Steve!

Comment

My scanner doesn't seem to be working tonight , but upon closer inspection it would seem a few of the pictures in the photo album are of planes of a different nature, many of which displaying the typical identification on the side of the plane instead of "TORONTO". The planes don't seem armed...at least not that I can see from the photos.

Comment

Very nice grouping and a little piece of history for you and your family.

Al

Comment

Very nice grouping Chris,,, You'll have to bring over the pictures some time..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X