Opinions needed on Martini Henry Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on Martini Henry Rifle

I would be grateful for opinions on this Martini Henry rifle that I have just acquired. I do not know a great deal about firearms, but it seems rather short when compared with rifles in general. I attach some pics.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Some more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Couple more pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Two more pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

one more pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rifle

It looks like a Martini Henry Artillery Carbine Mark II issued to the Royal Irish Constabulary. However, it has been modified by removing the cocking indicator. So probably a later issue than 1893-96.

Comment

Markings

Also, the markings on the metal and wood that look like 2 broad arrows pointing at each other, are sold out of service markings. These models started out as full size rifles. this one was manufactured in 1876. I'm sure it had an interesting history. Nice carbine.

Comment

Thanks Paul,
                So it was originally used by the British army as a rifle, then modified to make it into a carbine and sold to the Irish constabulary. I know next to nothing about these so I'm not sure what you mean about the cocking indicator.
                Thanks,
                Peter.

Comment

Try

Peter, check out this website .. useful info here ..

http://www.martinihenry.com/
                  Last edited by Gary Jucha; 04-19-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Martini Henry

Peter,
                    Ireland was part of the British Empire at the time, so I'd say it was issued to the R.I.C. before being sold out of service.

The cocking indicator looks like a large metal teardrop right behind the trigger on a standard Martini-Henry rifle.

Comment

Given it's age I think that is has been reblued or parkerised - the finish looks brand new. Nothing else wrong as far as I can see - it is certainly not a 'Khyber Pass' copy. Made by the Birmingham Small Arms Company.

Comment

Thanks Paul, Siegfried and Gary. I will check out your link Gary.
                        Thanks,
                        Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by peterwyndavies View Post
                          So it was originally used by the British army as a rifle, then modified to make it into a carbine
                          No - they made shortened versions of the MH rifle for the cavalry and artillery for easier use.

Comment

Thanks Seigfreid,
                            I thought that these shortened versions were called carbines and according to my information, which may or may not be correct, they did not begin production of these untill 1877, when the Mark I carbine was produced. Since this is dated 1876, then I would have thought that it was manufactured originally as a rifle.
                            Thanks,
                            Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by peterwyndavies View Post
                              Thanks Seigfreid,
                              I thought that these shortened versions were called carbines and according to my information, which may or may not be correct, they did not begin production of these untill 1877, when the Mark I carbine was produced. Since this is dated 1876, then I would have thought that it was manufactured originally as a rifle
                              You are correct Peter that these carbines were not produced until 1877, but I believe that - as the working parts are the same - that old rifle breeches etc would have been used up when the first carbines were assembled.
                              Also, note the 'II' underneath the crown/arrow on the RHS of the breech, the 'II' should be central, but in your case it is slightly off centre to the right, indicating a Mark I which was later modified into a Mark II (the extra 'I' being stamped next to the original 'I'.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X