• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1920 Pattern George 5th British Air Force Officer's Sword

Would appreciate some help authenticating this British Air Force sword
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Sword

The concerns I have would be that the grip appears to be plastic and the brass piece in the the star of David hallmark doesn't have any writing. Also, the blade etching seems to lack detail. The scabbard seems to be pretty pristine for a sword nearly 100 years old.

However, this opinion is based on the army and navy swords I have owned from this period. It is possible that RAF swords were manufactured to a different standard!

Comment

Hi

I think it is possible that this sword was made in India in the 20s or 30s even though the blade is stamped London made. The handle is all wrong even for an Indian made sword so is probably a later addition - much later IMO. No London made blade would be so poorly engraved.

Regards

James
      Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
      Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
      Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

Paul,

May I please hijack your thread and have mine checked out too?

I didn't know we had to worry about Indian copies.

Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

A couple more views.
          Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for those of you who took the time to reply. I agree with the posters, my sword is indeed a copy. I had the opportunity to examine an original over the weekend and for sure the grip is all wrong. Mike your grip looks the same as mine, take a needle and heat in under a candle then pierce your grip, That will tell you if it's true skin or plastic. I suspect it is plastiuc like mine. Oh, well I'm here to learn and for sure an education costs.
              www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

First thoughts are modern Worldwide Arms special.

Comment

It would be great if a member who owns an original sword could post some photos, particularly of the grip.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                    It would be great if a member who owns an original sword could post some photos, particularly of the grip.

Mike
                    To this request....I wish I could say I owned one......sadly it's still on my wish list

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X