Thoughts on 1942 MK III British Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on 1942 MK III British Helmet

This helmet is like any other WWII British helmet except for the saw dust paint job and the raw rim (nothing was ever on the rim). It is marked "1942 MK III" on the chin strap attachment. Inside is an ink marked broad arrow over two letters which look like IG. If the letters are IG I suppose this would stand for India Govt? In addition to the markings indicated, there is a number stamped near the rim. The helmet does not appear to have ever been repainted. Is this a rare variation? Was it made in England, India, or ?

Thanks,
    Greg

Well Greg ,first off is that an Uhlan helmet underneath and if it is can we have a look .secondly I dont know much about these raw edge helmets .I have often thought that they are for colonial use ie Aussies Canadians and Indians I suppose.However its a very nice helmet with good patina and age ,Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Greg,

A large number of surplus WW1 period raw edge helmets were re-issued in WW2 using the later liners. This could be one?

Thanks from Jack.

Comment

I thought the Mk I and II were the soup bowl shape and the Mk III was the turtle shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crockett
          This helmet is like any other WWII British helmet except for the saw dust paint job and the raw rim (nothing was ever on the rim). It is marked "1942 MK III" on the chin strap attachment. Inside is an ink marked broad arrow over two letters which look like IG. If the letters are IG I suppose this would stand for India Govt? In addition to the markings indicated, there is a number stamped near the rim. The helmet does not appear to have ever been repainted. Is this a rare variation? Was it made in England, India, or ?

Thanks,
          Greg

Hello Greg,

Appears to be an Australian lid.

Good find.

Best regards.

Jim

Comment

Hello Jim, I'm pleased it's Australian, I did not know they made helmets. What was the give away for Australia?

The "British helmet holder" is a tin-body spike helmet. The spike, etc are black, which is the way it was made. As requested here is a picture :

Comment

Greg thats a beautiful helmet are all the parts chinstrap cockades etc original ? Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks Robb,

The chinstrap and liner of the above are new. The cockades are old originals but did not come with the helmet. This old helmet came out of a farm house in the Detroit area. A suprise from friends who thought I might like it.

I esp. like late-issue metal spike helmets, they don't crack up like the leather examples.

Below is a spike which is 100% original - right down to the strap and liner. Now that I think of it, this one also came out of an old Michigan farm house. Those Michigan farmboys of 1918 brought home some cool stuff .

Best regards,
                Greg

Comment

Doesnt the fact that this helmet is marked Mark III but is not a turtle shape, automaticaly make it australian?.
                  jL

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crockett
                    Hello Jim, I'm pleased it's Australian, I did not know they made helmets. What was the give away for Australia?............. Inside is an ink marked broad arrow over two letters which look like IG.
                    Greetings Greg,

The Mk. III marking, the colour and the liner all make this a nice Australian manufactured lid.

Sorry for the delay answering but I was trying to find what the broad arrow mark stood for. I have two Aussie lids both with different broad arrow marks. Perhaps an arsenal marking?

Best regards.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCauley
                      Greetings Greg,

The Mk. III marking, the colour and the liner all make this a nice Australian manufactured lid.

Sorry for the delay answering but I was trying to find what the broad arrow mark stood for. I have two Aussie lids both with different broad arrow marks. Perhaps an arsenal marking?

Best regards.

Jim
                      According to Skennerton, if it's IG it would be India, but the ink is not that clear. As noted, I'm pleased it's Australian, for I have been assembling a collection of Australian equipment.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X