Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commando Dagger - genuine or not ?

Hello;

I just picked this up very cheaply at a local auction.

Double edged blade, needle tip, blade goes through handle to pommel. The blade is solid and is NOT loose. There are no marks on the dagger or sheath that I can see.

What are your thoughts - genuine item?

Apologies for the LARGE pictures - next time I'll amalgamate the images into one file...

Thank you. WilloW
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willow; 03-18-2012, 09:55 PM.

some more snaps
    Attached Files

Comment

some more snaps
      Attached Files

Comment

some more snaps
        Attached Files

Comment

Last ones - next time I make them smaller images and combine them in one layout....
          Attached Files

Comment

I think you have a commercially made knife since it has no markings like the number on the pommel or broadarrow on the crossguard. Scabbard does seem military, but the elastic strap looks like a repair.

Luc

Comment

FS knife

Nice third model FS knife, possibly late war or early post war production. Scabbard and knife 100% original military. Perfect item to ad to your WW2 British paratrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich1945 View Post
                Nice third model FS knife, possibly late war or early post war production. Scabbard and knife 100% original military. Perfect item to ad to your WW2 British paratrooper.
                Hi - Thanks for your note. I thought all Fairburn Sykes (FS) knifes were maker marked on the blade or had some type of stamp on the cross guard such as an arrow, England or similar ?
                Last edited by willow; 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

additional information

I have further information. Unnoticed at first (dirt and grim) are what "appears" to be an X or crossed cannons on the side of the round button at the top of the knife. This is normally where the 1,2 or 3 is stamped. The stamp is very hard to decipher, but there is definitely something there.

Does this provide an help in identifying the maker of the dagger and date of manufacturer ?

Thanks, WilloW

Comment

Birmingham made post war for the commercial market I suspect.

Possibly william Rodgers but a lot of the Birmingham and sheffield manufacturers used this logo and still do. I think It's actually crossed keys but it could be cannons.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

If it has Crossed Keys then this is a Knife manufactured by J Nowell & Sons Limited of Sheffield and will be Post-WW2. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                        If it has Crossed Keys then this is a Knife manufactured by J Nowell & Sons Limited of Sheffield and will be Post-WW2. Regards, Clive.
                        It's very difficult to make out, but it does look like crossed keys. Any idea what date range you are referring to if it is post war ?

MORE INFORMATION - I need glasses

I've wiped a bit more gunk off the handle and I've found the number 1 on the handle. How I missed it earlier I have no idea

So, we now have what maybe crossed keys (X) and a 1 on the handle (definite 1), WilloW

Comment

standard ww2 3rd pattern f-s
                          the cross is the clamp mark on the pommel nut

Comment

Agreed nickn, late WW2 3rd Pattern with cast No 1 numeral on Grip. For reference the Post-WW2 Crossed Key, not shown on this example, of J Nowell & Sons attached, courtesy of the WWW, Gotavapen SE. Regards, Clive.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank You

Thank you for all your help - I have quite a bit.

@Seebee 1 - that is not the mark as shown in your image. The mark on my knife is indistinct you really have to think hard to discern what it is. A clamps mark probably sounds right.

I'm pleased it's WW2 manufacture. I'm chasing down the details of the person who sold it at auction. This may shed further information.

Now I'll keep my eye open for nicely marked early pattern knife

Best to all, WilloW

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X