Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New medals just in!!

Hello Chaps!!

Just thought i'd show off my latest buy.
    It's a trio to a guy in the M.F.A.

Named J.Martin,Seaman on 14-15 Star,and J.S. Martin, Bosun, on the BWM and Victory.

Nothing rare,but I like them!!

Must get some original ribbon to replace these tatty ones too!

Kind regards,
    Andy

Hi Andy mate,

Original ribbon.....I doubt it mate. Still if I were you get the repro stuff, which is as good in any case and then you can display them with confidence in knowing the UV etc isn't harming the original ribbons i.e fading them. As scruffy as they are they are original so didn't discard them out of hand.

Your getting a nice collection of these now, are you aware of any other MM collectors or is there a museum somewhere perhaps ?

Have you considered going into TR Merchant items ? HEHEHE I'll bring them up soon.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Hi Andy,

A nice trio...glad you managed to get it and hope that some research pays off on this fellow!

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies!

Marcus,there is original ribbon still out there!
        My friend who runs the little goldmine has some 14-15 Star ribbon and some victory,the modern BWM ribbon looks just the same anyway.
        Pricey at £3 for 6 inches,but original!

Kind regards,
        Andy

Comment

Lovely medals Andy...

...if I were you, I would not replace the existing ribbon. I know it is in bad shape but it is original to the medals. Just imagine, it has probably been attached to those medals for the past 80 years and seen use on the recipient's chest.

Thanks from Jack.
          PS Are medals to this unit rare?

Comment

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

Medals to the M.F.A. aren't really rare,this group cost £55,and a single 14-15 Star with paperwork to them cost £25.

I need to replace the ribbons as I don't think the original would last long with pins through it to display them!

Kind regards,

Andy

Comment

Please Andy, don't replace those *beautiful* ribbons. They say more about the medals than the medals themselves.

If you're gonna pin 'em for vertical display pin the suspension and not the ribbon.
              Thanks,
              Eric Gaumann

Comment

Please dont replace the ribbons ,it makes them look artificial ,and they become just another touched up trio .Keep the original ribbons . Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

OK,i'll keep the original ribbons on!

Although,whilst looking at the medals yesterday evening I noticed that the 14/15 Star ribbon had almost frayed all the way across,so I had to carefully unpick the few stitches joining the ribbons at the top,and cut out the bit that was hanging off ready to rip!

Luckily,it was fairly close to the top,so I still have the original ribbon attached,albeit slightly shorter!

It doesn't make the prospect of displaying them any easier though,as I noticed the ribbon of the Victory Medal is heading the same way,and the 14-15 Star ribbon is still badly frayed in places!

What I had considered doing is buying some worn,original ribbon in better condition and replacing it with that,keeping the originals in a safe place.

But for now,until I decide what to do,they remain undisplayed!!

Kind regards,
                  Andy

Comment

How about leaving the original ribbon on & supporting the weight of the medal (as somebody's already suggested) with suitable pins or pegs through the suspension to hang the medal on & same at the top of the ribbons - or put a strip of card or similar across the tops of the ribbons to "clamp" them in place. Frayed or torn, I never alter the ribbons other than to get original ribbons for the medals that have'nt got them.

Comment

Awsome mate, thanks for the shots, I have a few of the same in an old collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X