1942 RAF Eagle Squadron Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1942 RAF Eagle Squadron Insignia

This pin is in a wing collection i just baught, i dont know if its a original badge or a fake, the item is made very well and its marked nice also.From what i have seen its for departing members of the Eagle Squadron?Thanks for any help i can get on this pin.
    Attached Files

"Eagles Recalled" advises that this is a commemorative badge for US citizens who joined the RAF and RCAF, then transferred back to the USAAF.

It's sterling silver and should have two screw posts.

Perhaps the original owner of your badge chose to have the pin fitted for convenience.

Mike

Comment

Made by Gaunts hallmarked for 1942.Roger

Comment

Thanks

Thank you very much for the help on the badge. Are these rare, i have doon a quick search on the net and i cant really find any for sale, one that was on ioffer.com with a DSC hanging on the bottom? Maybe this was made for his wife as a sweetheart jewelry.

Comment

The history of the RAF US Eagle squadron is well known, probably what is not so well known is the Americans who joined the French Arme'e de l'Air to emulate the famous Lafayette Escadrille of the first world war.

From the pictures of the badge provided I have no doubt that it is the real deal, but it has been 20 years since I have held one in my hands.

Just as a bit of back ground info, it was at the Americans own request that they were to be banded together as one squadron (No. 71 fighter squadron) or as they were more commonly known the "Eagle Squadron."

With the arrival of more American volunteers, two more fighter squadrons (No. 121 and No. 133) were formed.
          During a period of 18 months of being operational, the Eagle Squadrons were credited with 73 and a half confirmed destroyed aircraft. The half kill was a shot down Dornier that was shared with a British squadron.

While 73.5 does not seem a lot, it is equivalent to about 6 squadrons shot down, and there was probably a lot more destroyed and damaged enemy aircraft that were not confirmed. (No. 71 Squadron was credited with 41 kills)

The badge itself was authorized and commissioned by the British Air Council as an expression of its gratitude for the great work done by the Eagle Squadrons, and was offered as a small personal memento of their services to the RAF.

Originally the badge was intended to be presented to the Eagle squadrons by the Air Chief Marshal Sir S. Douglas at their last parade as RAF personnel, unfortunately the badges were not ready in time for the final parade and were issued at a latter date (Unknown to me)

Dressed in RAF blue in the morning, they were transferred on the 20th September 1942 to the USA Air Forces 4th Pursuit Group under Colonel E. W. Anderson, in the afternoon of the same day dressed in khaki of the U.S.A.A.F, in front of their old spitfires, Brig. General Hunter issued them with their new wings.

Brent

Comment

Thanks

Brent thank you very much for takeing the time to help on the badge.
            Best Regards
            Nole

Any idea about a value?

Comment

Noel, I haven't seen one of these for sale, so hard to put a value on.
              What I can say is your badge is important in that it was given in gratitude at the highest level to the historic Eagle Squadron.
              The No. 71, 121 and 133 squadrons became the 334th, 335th and 336th Fighter squadrons.
              To the right American USAAF collector, I think you could get crazy money for it.

Taking your other wings out of the price you paid, what did this badge work out cost wise?

Comment

ThANKS

Brent
                I got 138 wings with only a few pins, i figure less then 10.00 LOL
                Thank you very much for your help!!

Comment

A tenner

Its a fantastic piece, thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X