e
      Attached Files

Comment

couple now of kangol stitch
        Attached Files

Comment

They're good

Hi Dave,
          Look I just hate the fact these piles of rubbish are making you paranoid,send them to someone who appreciates them and stick to your tin lids,ME!
          They are 100% ok,and a Canadian one in that condition is a rare beret.
          Like I say I don't want you making yourself ill over a bit of military milinary.
          Ivan

Comment

Both are 100% good but the Canadian one should be repatriated

Comment

Thank you both for putting my mind at rest cheers Dave

Comment

Just to specify my comment; please see that thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=557954

I don't know if this is the same beret, I guess not, but "mine" also had this particularity and further to posting that thread I received comments from two collectors who told me that this was indeed a non common thing to see on a Canadian beret, especially with one in excellent condition. But none of them told me this is impossible or that this beret was not good. I can now see that this is not that uncommon.

Very nice berets!

Best,
                Last edited by zimzum77; 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Gents,

The nice thing about Canadian produced para berets is they are very difficult to fake. I’ve handled some blatantly obvious poor attempts and some pretty good ones, but they all have missed the fine details. These pictures you supplied are great, however there’s nothing better than handling them to be certain.

If possible, can you please post a picture of the leather over the grommets inside the liner and a picture of the grommets from your Canadian beret? Also, I know you showed the stitching on the outside of the leather binding, but it is the liner side that is the informative stitch I would like to see. I don’t really want to help the fakers so perhaps you can PM me your email address.

Cheers.

Comment

Dave,

I just spotted the pictures I requested from you deeper in this thread. Unfortunately, I see some red flags that I don’t really care for with your Canadian beret. Personally, I would return this one if possible.

For starters, the leather over the grommets doesn’t sit well with me, however there are a few other tell tale signs that I don’t care to mention on an open forum. Unfortunately most collectors don’t get the opportunity to handle too many Canadian produced war time para berets which makes it difficult to know what to look for. I don’t know who put this one together and I don’t care to help them destroy this hobby.

Sorry.

Comment

I too have several wartime Canadian berets (including a 1943 dated maroon beret with provenance) and I don't see any red flags with the beret shown here. If this beret has been faked then apparently every other Canadian beret I've handled has been too. Unless there is some incredibly subtle detail that we are not seeing but without more information as to why there are red flags my opinion remains that this is a perfectly legitimate beret.

Comment

Infanteer,

Thank you for your comment. I absolutely agree, you and all the other collectors on this forum are entitled to an opinion. I gave mine, and I will stick by it 100% without a doubt. I appreciate you have several Canadian berets, as I have my share as well. However, as mentioned previously, I don’t think telling all I know on an open forum is wise, as then this becomes a class on how to make better fakes. PM me if you would like and we can discuss this further.

Cheers,

Coogan

Comment

Well, sadly I had the opportunity to handle this Canadian beret in hand and now it's time to eat crow. In person there are definitely some red flags and it does appear that it has been tampered with. I guess some of you guys are better at picking out the subtle details from photos that are only apparent to me when handled in person Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X