Opinions needed on possible WWI Naval Binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on possible WWI Naval Binoculars

I would be grateful for opinions on these binoculars which may be WWI Naval Binoculars. I have not seen any of these before and attach some pics.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Some more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another couple of pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

Two more pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

One more pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't think these are naval binoculars. They are generally 7x50, this stems from the pupils of the eye enlarging to approx 7mm in low light conditions, the exit pupil size of binoculars is calculated by dividing the objective lens size by the magnification. 7x50 binoculars give an exit pupil of slightly over 7mm, this provides the brightest image.

Naval binoculars are also not generally prismatic as there isn't really the need for weight reduction or space saving at a cost of reduced optical efficiency.

I also count 4 "Crow's Foot" marks yet no date or pattern number. That makes me think that these have been donated for the war effort. Which war and which service they went to is the question. It's not impossible they went to the RN, they just wouldn't be your standard bridge watchkeeper's item.

Hope this waffle helps.

Comment

Thanks Jim,
              I thought that they were Naval Binoculars because of the admiralty acceptance marks in the form of the yellow arrows, which I know are on WWII Naval Binoculars and which I assumed would be on WWI ones as well.
              Generally WWII Naval Binoculars are 7 x 50 as you stated, but I wasn't sure about WWI ones. A lot of the binoculars used by the army in WWI were of the gallilean type, though the prismatic ones had been invented around 1896 and were also used in number by the army during that conflict. I didn't know that during WWI the navy did not use prismatic binoculars, since most if not all of them used in WWII were prismatic.
              As I said I have not seen any WWI ones, so I am unsure about these. I take your point about there being no date or pattern number, which is puzzling.
              Peter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X