ww2 British helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 British helmet

I don't know much about this helmet. Can anyone tell me if it is original paint, liner and hardware? The screw on top seems to be a replacement. Also, one side has 3 holes drilled in it.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

It's a South African MKII (jager rand).
      I have some doubts over the liner,I don't think it's the original one.
      These helmets were worn by some british troops in Africa (ww2).
      After the war these hemets were issued to the Greece and Israel army.
      Are there some markings in the liner (year,size,broadarrow?)

grtz Men of Valor
      Last edited by men of valor; 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Hi!

It's indeed a South African MkII, the liner is a replacement. These were originally painted green, then were repainted with a smooth, light sand colour. This one has been repainted once more, with a thick mixture of sand and paint. I had posted a similar one here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=South+African

The three holes were covered by the thick mixture in my example.

Another member sent me some photos of such a helmet a few days ago, it seems like a relatively good number of these turned up recently.

Best regards,
        Giorgos

Comment

Thank you! Excellent info!

On mine, there is a screw holding the liner, but the example in the link does not show a screw on top. Obviously mine is a replacement (1950s Dutch liner?), but there is a ring where a larger screw once was. Any ideas where I can get that hardware?
          Last edited by jonathancol; 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathancol View Post
            On mine, there is a screw holding the liner, but the example in the link does not show a screw on top.
            The screw is no problem, it's the correct setup. Mine is held with a split pin, which is most probably a field replacement. It was found here in Greece and I guess that the replacement liner (marked CCL 1945) was an effort to make the helmet more presentable before passing it to the newly reorganised Greek Army in early 1945. It seems logical if the original liner was in bad shape after years of service in the desert or Italy.

The liner could be postwar Dutch, indeed. If you want to replace it with a wartime one, either SA or British, I would suggest e-bay as an option.

Best regards,
            Giorgos

Comment

Definitely a South African shell as already stated, with fairly typical rough textured paint. The liner could easily be post-war Dutch but some parts (the crown pad) may be original pieces.

It's hard to tell from the photos but the screw may be the smaller late-war type which replaced the earlier, flatter model. This would explain the round mark left in the paint. The inside nut, however, does not look original in the picture. As Giorgos said many liners were replaced during the war (and after) meaning screws were changed or switched around.

The chinstrap is what interests me. The material definitely looks like typical rough, yellow SA webbing but it is the single-piece strap found on later British helmets - without the springs on each side. The way it is attached to the shell also looks strange but I cannot be sure why. It could be original but it is hard to tell from the photos.

Matthew

Comment

Here are a couple more pictures. Is this is the small late type screw and nut? Also, the strap has been cut and stitched together. I have also attached a picture of the strap at the bale. The liner is dry, so it seems old. The tie looks almost like a shoelace though.

Comment

Comment

The screw is indeed of the later, smaller type. The traces of the earlier one are pretty visible. The original green factory paint is also visible and I think I can see lighter sand color paint, too. The nut looks odd, though. If the liner is a postwar Dutch example, it's logical that it looks old. These were issued in the '50s, so they can have an aged look, specially if they were not stored in the best conditions. I think that the liner is a postwar addition to the shell.

Best regards,
                    Giorgos

Comment

Thanks for the extra pictures. The top bolt looks like a standard Mk II from the middle of the war onwards. I have several helmets with these smaller bolts replacing the larger originals - and they all have that round mark left in the paint.

The nut on the inside actually looks like a Mk I with the dome shape. If so, then they are both original even if they have been replaced at some time. The crown pad could also be an original British piece.

The chinstrap attachments, however, still look strange to me - I do not recognise the flat style buckle or the non-elastic webbing (could be from SA as I said before). Someone more knowledgeable may be able to offer some suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X