Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosti Acie Nominati badge?

Hello all,
    I wonder if I could get a little info on this badge I have. It came with a bunch of other Canadian and British badges that I have had for some time. If I'm not mistaken this badge was worn by the Royal Winnipeg Rifles? I looked up the wording on it and one site says the wording means "named by the enemy" and another site says it means little black devils. I don't collect these items so any help is appreciated. Is this a cap badge, era this was used and value if any? I have attached two pics of this badge. On the reverse it looks like the letters G&S& co and three symbols also but can't really tell what they are. One looks like a lion? In any case any help and info is appreciated.
    Duzig(Bill)
    Attached Files

It's indeed a badge from The Winnipeg Rifles.
    This capbadge is a 1922 version.There is a other capbadge version introduced in 1937 (The Royal Winnipeg Rifles)
    The nickname for this unit was the little black devils.
    Hostie Acie Nominati means "named by the enemy in battle"

grtz
    Last edited by men of valor; 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Hello,
      Grtz, thanks for that reply. 1922, didn't realize it'd be that old. Any idea who the manufacturer was or what the three symbols on reverse stand for? By the way is there a site where one could find pictures of different canadian and british insignia, cap badges and the like? I have a number of items but have no idea what they are or what they are worth if anything. I'm trying to catalog all my stuff so putting in pics of items I don't really know about.
      thanks again for that reply.
      Duzig(Bill)

Comment

The maker of this badge is Goldsmith & Silversmith Company Ltd,frequently seen on badges as G & S co or The G & S co/ 112 Regent St London.
        It's a English capbadge maker.
        This is a nice site www.britishbadgeforum.com
        http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/mak...ent_parker.htm to clarify the 3 marks in the silver

cheers Men of Valor
        Last edited by men of valor; 02-13-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

That is definately a London silver hallmark, I cannot make out the last letter in the pic but that style of lettering was used through the 1920s
          Lee

Comment

Hello,
            Grtz and Lee, thanks for your help. Where would this badge be worn, on a cap or pocket? Thanks again
            Duzig(Bill)

Comment

I think on a field service cap.
              The Canadians introduced the baret in 1943.
              Untill that time they wear the field service cap.

grtz Men of Valor

Comment

Just for clarity I believe this would of been a 'Officers' private purchase item and I have only seen them re-pinned as 'Sweetheart' broaches, I would guess this cap-badge setup would be a real keeper.

Comment

If this was a cap badge, it would be the Winnipeg Rifles (aka Little Black Devils) as opposed to the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. Since this is silver hallmarked, it is an officer's badge, probably private purchase.

However, this looks like a collar badge to me.

If it's a cap badge, it will be about 45 mm wide. Collars measure about 35 mm. wide. The same pattern collars are worn by the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, 1937 onwards, so date the hallmark. If it dates 1937+ it is a Royal Winnipeg Rifles collar; if 1922-1937, Winnipeg Rifles.

Comment

Yes it can be a collar badge what DaveS said.
                    On my first sight it looked like a capbadge.
                    Measure it up and we will find it out.

grtz men of valor

Comment

This is one of my favorite Canadian Insignia's. Never seen one with these hallmarks though, very neat.

Comment

Hello,
                        I just want to thank all of you for your responses and help, it is really appreciated. I will measure the badges size and will try to get a better pic or identify the hallmark on the reverse of badge since this will date it correct? Again thanks to all for your help.
                        Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Hello again all,
                          It was mentioned about whether this was a collar or cap badge. The size is about 1 inch in height, and 1 1/4 inch in wide. Again thanks for all your help and info. Anyone have a rough value on items like this as I don't collect them myself. Again thanks for your help.
                          Duzig(Bill)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X