Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durham Light Infantry BD blouse question

Hi all!

I would like to ask you an opinion about my thoughts on a DLI BD blouse. It has the DLI shoulder titles and one arm of service strip on each sleeve, but no divisional patches. My thought is that it belonged to a member of the 1st battalion, part of the 10th Indian Infantry Division, as the 10th Indian Infantry Brigade was the first Divisional Brigade.

-The 2nd Battalion belonged to the 6th Infantry Brigade, third Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division.
    -The 6th, 8th and 9th Battalions belonged to the 151st Infantry Brigade, the third Brigade of the 50th Infantry Division.
    -The 10th, 11th and 12th Battalions belonged to the 70th Infantry Brigade, second Brigade of the 23rd Infantry Division
    -The 16th belonged to the 139th Infantry Division, second Brigade of the 46th Infantry Division.
    -The 5th and 7th served in an antiaircraft role.

Am I right to think that the single arm of service strip is justified only in the case of the 1st Battalion, as in the other cases 2 or 3 strips would be appropriate? Would the 5th and 7th have only one strip? Could there be a possibility that the man would wear only one strip against regulations?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Giorgos

Multiple Arm of Service strips were not an army wide practice, they were only worn in certain Divisions, those of which I do not remember. Those battalions that converted to Artillery would have worn the RA Arm of Service strip of red and blue.

Marc

Comment

Thank you for the reply Marc! So it seems it's more likely that almost each of the above cases is possible.

Best regards,
      Giorgos

Comment

Hi
        As Marc says, the arm of service strips are not a hard and fast rule but some divisions did use the system so you can narrow it down a bit. Also there might be some clues in the type of BD and titles on it, do you have a pic?

23Div was disbanded in 1940 so that can be ruled out, although 70Bgd then went to 49Div
        2/46/49/50Divs all used the system, see this for 16DLI http://16dli.awardspace.com/index.html

Indian Divs and Divs in Burma did not always wear full insignia, often only a Div patch, also it could be someone attached to an HQ and not in a brigade. I think there is a possibility of it being 1DLI but more info on the jacket might help narrow it down, is there any evidence of it ever having a div sign?
        Hope this makes sense
        Lee

Comment

Hi Lee!

Thanks for your clear explanation, it makes perfect sense! I don't own the BD, but I am possibly interested in it. I 'm not sure it's appropriate posting the dealer's link here, so I 'll send it to you via PM.

It's an early 1943 dated US made war aid BD, shoulder titles are red, (possibly felt?)with an embroidered white "Durham L.I.", which is quite different to the one of the 16th DLI of your interesting link. I can't see any signs of removed divisional patches, no stitching traces, no ghosting.

My focus on British items is the N. Africa/Mediterranean Front and there's a good chance that the BD saw action there. I 'd just like to avoid the Burma case and if it actually was a 1st or possibly 16th Battalion BD, it would interest me even more, as they fought in Kos and Athens.

Best regards,
          Giorgos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X