Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo boots. 1942 John White

Hi
    Could someone tell me please approx. price for these boots? Found in Estonia, sent to RKKA. Upper is marked WD(and arrow) 99.

Regards
    K.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

I can only find boots with toe caps.
      Anybody? I would like to get approx. price range before I will put them on sale.

Comment

Hi Kass,

These are WWII British ammo boots that could have been used be either RAF, or Royal Marines. There are also Canadian ones that have no toe caps but have different stitching on them.

I can tell they were not used by Brits later as they are laced improperly to British regulations, they might also be possibly be Land Lease?

As of price, I would probably start bidding at around 80$-100$ (US Dollar) and see where it would take you. Especially since they are a bit beaten. I saw another pair of Brit/Canadian ones on eBay and with one day to go they have zero bids with a starting price of 100 pounds.

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for your reply. They were Lend-Lease indeed. I added the laces.
          Regards
          K.

Comment

My observation from your photos is that they are "Rough Outs", American USMC style. I am not familiar with the maker, it may well be British.

Looking at their used condition, It apears they were worn with Gaiters for a long while, but new soles and Hob Nails shows they have been re soled at some time. Boots of this kind were issued and produced for the US during WW2.

Interesting boots.

Regards Graham.

Comment

Never heard of boondockers made in the UK during the war. That is the first. Are the soles rubber.

Comment

Hi
                "John White" is a British firm that still operates today. Soles are leather and not been resoled. They were found in a barn, covered in mud. Metal parts are rusted cause of the bad conditions, but they don't show much wear.

Regards
                K.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yep these are RAF ammo boots without a doubt. Here is another example:
                  http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk/...WW1_type_boots

Making USMC Boondockers in the UK would be completely unpractical , first because no USMC units were in the UK or fought on the Continent, second the British had plenty of rationing at the time. Smaller items were made for the GIs but boots? Plus USMC Boondockers have rubber soles....

Comment

Lend Lease etc.

Yes I do agree that it's impractical in theory to make Pacific Theater boots in the ETO. The Brits as you said made items of US design through contract, although using varients such as press studs instead of "lift the dots", P37 buckles instead of "Tri Bars" on musette and equipment bags, and webb instead of canvas.(Leather soles instead of rubber perhaps?)
                    I also agree these boots have a similar style to RAF, and Canadian boots without the toe cap. My observation as I said was the second photo clearly shows the leather is smooth side in, and rough side out. I have never seen a pair of RAF, Brit or Canadian Army boots made in "rough out" design. They are also missing the standard heel horseshoe and toe plate. All Us combat boots from 1943 were "rough out".

This is all my opinion only, but like everything in wartime manufacture, you can never say never. I've attached a photo of a US officer (kneeling) in the ETO wearing either a British supplied pair, or British made for US, pair of boots. And the boot I was thinking of from Henri- Pauls book.

Cheers and regards, Graham.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Guys, thanks for your input. I have seen another pair in same style and make (J.W) that was executed in black pebbled leather. I'll see if I can get the pictures.

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X