F-S Fighting knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-S Fighting knife

This is a dagger I bought approx 15 years ago and paid £30.

Is it WWII vintage? Is it as it should be?

Notice the number "1" on the pommel.

Many thanks.

Stan
    Attached Files

Nice piece it seems to be promising but it would be useful to have a pic from the backside of the scabbard as well, is that possible? Anyway you have paid a decent price i will give you a profit of 20 pounds do we have a deal,
    Cheerio Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Here is a photo of the reverse of the scabbard. What is the value of this dagger?

Stan
      Attached Files

Comment

Late War

Hi Stan,
        Late War 3rd pattern knife,the 1 is a mould number,there were 1 2 3 4
        moulds,each one denoting a different company. The high domed pommell nut is evidence of late war production as is the machine finished balde. I would ask if the rivots are brass on the scabbard,if not then it is a post war example,it does however have a brown elastic retainer so that's ok.
        Regards,Ivan
        Last edited by grip3846; 02-02-2012, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Stan,
          If the rivets are made from brass then you have a ww-2 specimen if i look at yours it seems that they are made from another material is that right? What the price concern i think if everything is all right the price will be around €200 euros and maybe more,
          Cheerio Christian

Comment

Thanks guys for the info

The rivets are definitely made of brass. See pics:

Stan
            Attached Files

Comment

only one company made the grips
              1 2 3 4 markings so as to easily identify mould flaws

Comment

Handles

Where do you get your info re the handles,is it not the belief that 4 different companies were used in the manufacture of the handles re the mould numbers. If only one company was used then why have 4 different mould numbers. It is my belief that 4 companies were used hence the 1-4 so that if any faults were found the handles could be returned. Of course if you have any definite evidence that only 1 company was used then I am sure we would all benefit from knowing that company.
                Regards,Ivan
                Last edited by grip3846; 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Companies

Hi,
                  Having checked my information,the following companies are those I believe were involved in the manufacture of the cast handles or hilts if you like.
                  Wolverhampton Die Casting Co ......possibly the 4
                  Walsall Die Casting Co
                  Perry Bar Metal Co of Birmingham
                  H J Maybry of London
                  This info was found in the records of Wilkinsons
                  Regards,Ivan

Comment

i have quite a number of ws made 3rd patterns all with a feature on the grip and numbereed 1 to 4 so the grips all came from one maker
                    also read page 77 of rwl`s book he clearly states the numbers refer to moulds used only

Comment

I'm petty sure numbered grips came from the Wolverhampton company, as my aunt used to work there and bought home unfinished ones for me to play with in the 1950's.
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                        i have quite a number of ws made 3rd patterns all with a feature on the grip and numbereed 1 to 4 so the grips all came from one maker
                        also read page 77 of rwl`s book he clearly states the numbers refer to moulds used only
                        Hi,
                        I see on page 75 of the book that it refers to the mould numbers. It states that The Wolverhampton Die Casting Ltd was used and was No4,this is known as a batch was returned as they were of inferior quality. Each company that I list in my previous post were used by Wilkinson as suppliers of handles,the knife then assembled at Wilkinsons or wherever the handles were sent,as Wilkinsons were not the only makers of these knives. The info re the mould number/companies used came directly from Wilkinson's records and are not just subject of speculation.I am pleased that your knives have mould numbers as this just about guarantees that they are WW2 pieces. It is generally accepted that the mould numbers only refer to the specific mould used for the handle and has nothing more to do with the manufacture of the knife. I would not rule out early post war knives having mould numbers,however shortly after the war the moulds were destroyed as it was believed that they would not receive any more orders for knives.
                        Regards,Ivan

Comment

page 77 of the second edition
                          the knives i refer to in my collection have the f-s and ws etch and are pre 46
                          there is a feature in the casting and are numbered 1 to 4 so they came from the same manufacturer
                          i have one no 1 two no 2 one number 3 and four number 4 marked grips

Comment

Originally posted by grip3846 View Post
                            Hi,
                            I see on page 75 of the book that it refers to the mould numbers. It states that The Wolverhampton Die Casting Ltd was used and was No4,this is known as a batch was returned as they were of inferior quality. Each company that I list in my previous post were used by Wilkinson as suppliers of handles,the knife then assembled at Wilkinsons or wherever the handles were sent,as Wilkinsons were not the only makers of these knives. The info re the mould number/companies used came directly from Wilkinson's records and are not just subject of speculation.I am pleased that your knives have mould numbers as this just about guarantees that they are WW2 pieces. It is generally accepted that the mould numbers only refer to the specific mould used for the handle and has nothing more to do with the manufacture of the knife. I would not rule out early post war knives having mould numbers,however shortly after the war the moulds were destroyed as it was believed that they would not receive any more orders for knives.
                            Regards,Ivan
                            There are 4 manufacturers, like you mentioned before. You gave the correct names in an earlier post.
                            Nice 3th pattern by the way
                            Regards!

Comment

Here're couple of excellent links to more info about 3th pattern hilts and general info of these knives..

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com...ttern_F-S.html

http://www.wilkinsonfscollection.com...ariations.html

http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/p3/fs_knife_p3.htm

Also the gotavapen webside has a forum wich specializes in the F-S, membership is a must do if you collect or have an interest in this knife!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X