british para helmet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

british para helmet ?

Hi guys, i havent seen one like this before , any info appreciated rgds Dave
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This looks more like a modern day despatch rider helmet to me, with a para helmet cover and a 1980's net.

Comment

popped the cover off and it has stumped me even more , is 22c an raf code ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Military Free Fall helmet chaps.

Regards Graham.

Comment

This has stumped me, I/ve never seen one of these in 24 years service - which makes me think that you are right about the 22c code, it may be RAF which could explain why I've never seen one. The only helmets I saw before kevlar were the old '44 pattern turtles, and the Cromwell helmet that we wore in NI which was like an old mod's open face scooter helmet with full face visor. We need a few crabs to see this!

Your helmet has the look of the 80's to me, the cover and net are nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GCG1964 View Post
                Military Free Fall helmet chaps.

Regards Graham.
                BRILLIANT! Like the Red Devils you mean?

You typed that while I was still typing!

Comment

thanks guys for all your help on this i too think you have nailed it cheers Dave

Comment

Still

Hi Dave,
                    It does have the look of a free fall helmet,but defo not as described on you know where,whats with the new gaffa tape para cover added to deceive.
                    I reckon he could have got more for it advertising it as it is and selling the cover and net separately.....you now have a choice bud,what you gonna do
                    Regards,Ivan

Comment

Hi Ivan, you are correct i bought them going from the description thinking it was a 70s para helmet now i either send back or take up freefalling from my bedroom window with it mmmm rgds Dave hey or could sell it as belonging to olive from on the buses
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sscrooge; 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Q

Dave ,i was told and sold them as para helmet falklands issue

Comment

Never

Originally posted by hayleyp View Post
                          Dave ,i was told and sold them as para helmet falklands issue
                          Hi Will,
                          I left just just prior to the conflict and I never saw such a helmet go anywhere near a Para's head,they did use a combat lid with patent leather type straps but this certainly isn't what I recall using or seeing prior to 82
                          Regards,Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by grip3846 View Post
                            Hi Dave,
                            It does have the look of a free fall helmet,but defo not as described on you know where,whats with the new gaffa tape para cover added to deceive.
                            I reckon he could have got more for it advertising it as it is and selling the cover and net separately.....you now have a choice bud,what you gonna do
                            Regards,Ivan

I'd ask for a refund if I were you - what toerag sold you this and what was it advertised as? Go on, give us a laugh

Comment

22c codes refer to flying clothing and equipment, as has been mentioned. However, as always there are certain crossovers and this helmet is testament to that.

As stated, it is indeed a "para helmet" just not the type anticipated. It offers no ballistic protection and was designed and used purely as a protective device for free fall military parachutists, just like a crash helmet (the cork shell is a giveaway).

Essentially, is a stripped down flying helmet of the period, specifically for use by freefall (HALO etc.) parachutists, inc. SF-types. If keen, watch the movie "The Wild Geese" for a whole load of these helmets in action!

As such, I believe it to be relatively uncommon on the market so whilst not the "para helmet" style you hoped for, it is well worthy of a place in a "para" collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X