JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this Medal Bar be linked to a Soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this Medal Bar be linked to a Soldier?

While looking on eBay I found this auction for a Serbian Medal Bar with a British Military Cross on it. Since the Military Cross is unnamed I am curious to know if this bar can be attributed to a particular Serbian soldier? I can't imagine that too many Military Crosses were awarded to Serbian personnel. On a side note I find it odd that the Order of the White Eagle is without swords.

Here is a link to the actual auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YUGOSLAVIA-SERBIA-KINGDOM-HIGH-OFFICERS-10-MEDAL-BAR-BRITISH-CROSS-/160704472103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256abb a427
    Attached Files

Would have to be gazetted and it would be to a Capt, Luet. or 2n Luet. (possible even a WO but very rarely) the position is incorrect as it should be at the end of the bar after all other National awards unless Serbia/Yugoslavia did not follow the normal convention.

Does not look like a put together as it does have some age to it.

Perhaps a search of the London Gazette will turn up something

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
      Perhaps a search of the London Gazette will turn up something
      Nada, it would have been a foreign officer

Comment

Gentleman, thanks for the replies. So are you saying that that the Gazette is the only place this would be referenced and since the recipient is a foreign national he wouldn't be listed there? Too bad because its a smart looking bar but I don't think I would throw $2k at it if it couldn't be linked back to anyone.

Comment

Yes I am mistaken it all foreign awards that have to be Gazetted. In other words if a UK officer was to receive say the 'US legion of merit' it would or at least should to appear in the Gazette. Not awards of UK decorations to foreign persons though I think all knighthood have to be Gazetted.

My guess it is a Pilot of WWI vintage most likely a top ace of some sort. I still a little shy on the ordering as some of the Serbian medals are out of order.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X