EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercantile Fleet Auxillary,who were they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercantile Fleet Auxillary,who were they?

Hello,

Just back after a week away in 'sunny' Scarborough!

While I was there I picked up a 1914-15 star and associated paperwork to a guy in the Mercantile Fleet Auxillary.
    As I collect Mercantile Marine medals,I know that these men were civilians,but what category did the MFA fall under?

Were they civilians attached to the navy,plain civilians or were they classed as servicemen?

I should know this,but don't!

The funny thing is,amongst the paperwork is a letter from the Admiralty,dated 31st March 1926,conferring the 1914-15 star upon his next of kin.
    The letter states,.......accompanying 1914-15 star which would have been conferred upon the above named had he lived,in memory of his services with the British Forces during the Great War.

Could someone tell me why this letter and the 1914-15 star would have been received so long after the end of the war?
    The dealer I bought it from seems to think that he died after he left the service so therefore the medals weren't claimed,and that the letter is to his family who were claiming as his next of kin,any other ideas?

The other item is the Authority to wear card from the Board of Trade,which shows that he received the ribbon for his BWM and Mercantile Marine medal on 29 August 1919,but apparently never collected these medals.

I'll post scans of the maedal and paperwork later.

All help appreciated!
    Kind regards,
    Andy

The MFA were trained seamen civilians who augmented the Mercantile Marine (later MN), much in the same way the RNVR augmented the RNR (who were volunteers from within the MM & MN) who in turn supported the regular RN (who were also supplemented by the RFR). The MFA is not to be confused with the RFA - who (whilst civilian seamen) were uniformed and came under Admiralty control - as they still do. All pretty straightforward really.

Why did it take so long? Probably for the same reason Suez veterans are still waiting for their medals. And (live) service issues tended to take precedence over (dead) civilian ones.

Nice gong by the way. Uncommon to the MFA.
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 06-27-2004, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tony,much appreciated!!

Well,I finally got round to scanning the paperwork that came with the medal,so here it is.

Firstly,the letter from the Admiralty concerning the 14/15 Star.
      Last edited by AndyD; 06-29-2004, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Secondly,the Board Of Trade Authority To Wear War Medals For The Mercantile Marine Card.

As you can see from the card,it looks like he only received the ribbons for the medals, but not the medals themselves,giving rise to the theory that he died after leaving the service.

Comment

Thirdly,his 1914-15 Star.
          Last edited by AndyD; 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM.

Comment

And lastly,the reverse of his 1914-15 Star.

All comments appreciated!!

Kind regards,
            Andy
            Last edited by AndyD; 12-29-2006, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X