Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British flying cap and googles Identification

Hello,

Can someone help identify the cap and googles? Where they worn usually by fighter pilots or common amongst all flyers?

Thanks
    Rudy
    Attached Files

More pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Goggles
      Attached Files

Comment

Not sure on the cap but thats a nice Mk 7 Goggle you have there

Comment

Shame they are missing the pull doewn sun glasses , the helmet was for training or aircrew that just needed to keep warm and were not connected to an intercom . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Wasn't looking at selling, just had them for years and wanted to know about them. Thank goodness I knew it would take more than money for chumlee to get a brain.
            Regards
            Rudy

Comment

Hi Rudy,

The helmet is the British Type B flying helmet and was standard issue to all aircrew. It was first issued in 1935 and superceded in 1941 with the Type C helmet.

The helmet you display has not been fitted with the leather earphone covers (designated AM 22C/66) or headphones. These were usually fitted in the field at an Operational Training Unit or Squadron.

The goggles are the Mark 7 goggle second variant. The first variant had a leather strap, not the webbing strap.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
              David

Comment

Thanks David. That really helps.
                Regards
                Rudy

Comment

the receiver holders and covers were factory fitted not done in the field
                  as has been stated this is a training helmet

Comment

IMO David is absolutely correct. Other comments about factory fitting and training helmet are inaccurate.

Comment

sorry lanners55 you are wrong i have many b and c-type flying helmets including a new in box c-type never issued with all its tags
                      these helmets left the factory with their receiver holders and covers already fitted they were not done in the field

Comment

The done in the field thing must be an old wives tale . Like pouring vinegar in your eye to cure a cyst . Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Me109G View Post
                          the British Type B flying helmet
                          Also issued to parachutists for training purposes at the beginning of the war.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by nickn
                            sorry lanners55 you are wrong i have many b and c-type flying helmets including a new in box c-type never issued with all its tags
                            these helmets left the factory with their receiver holders and covers already fitted they were not done in the field
                            nickn,

It is a well known fact that Type B headphone receivers were fitted in the field. I have several examples in my collection which clearly reflect this, where the headphones have been sewn in different positions onto the side of the helmet. One particular example has the headphones hand-sewn on, positioned very low on the sides and touching the bottom rim of the helmet. This is because it was tailored in the field to suit the wearers needs.

The Type B left the factory without earphones fitted which is why they were also used by parachutists for training purposes during the early stages of the war.

Tpye C helmets on the other hand did have their earphone holders fitted in the factory.

For further reference on this subject, I suggest you read "Vintage Flying Headgear" by Mick Prodger who is a well renouned expert in this field.

Cheers,
                            David

Comment

Hi David perhaps you could post some photos of your tailored examples so we can see whats what , cheers Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X