British Airborne post war(my dad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Airborne post war(my dad)

I mentioned a short time ago that I would post a few pictures of my father when he served in:

M/T Sect
    HQCoy
    1st Batt Parachute Regiment
    16th Ind.Parachute Brigade
    1952-55

To be honest,I'm putting these up for no other reason than he'll get a real kick out of seeing them on the PC.To dad,computers are a complete mystery so he'll be amazed that you can see them here.

Dad's got some better photographs at his house,but I couldn't get hold of them-here's a few for starters.

Hope that's ok,

neil

Conscription:
    Lancashire Fusiliers

Now I know where I get my good looks from

Dad hates this shot-mainly because of the feather plume in the beret.

( mum loves it!..for obvious reasons )
    Last edited by Hunziker; 06-26-2004, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Young father & paratrooper

Note he the rank chevron,Para wings and Pegasus

Comment

In the park

Comment

and again

Comment

With the lads

Comment

shadows and parachutes

Comment

Me and my Jeep-in Egypt

Just out of shot is dad's Browning 9mm,slung low at the waist.
                He purposely moved it out of the shot....never could work out why

That's all for now.

neil
                Last edited by Hunziker; 06-26-2004, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Neil, thanks for posting the pics. Your Dad looked very smart in his BD. It is interesting to see photos from the 1950's as so much of the kit is still WW2 pattern or influenced. Have you ever considered having the photos restored? I think I would have a go using a scanner and photoshop.

I was very interested to see the pic of the Jeep and the Bedford MW 15cwt truck. I can tell you a little about that actual Jeep, as I maintain a database on British Airborne Jeeps (my interest in these is because I own one). From "WD Census" number "45YJ78", I can tell you that the Jeep served in WW2 with the number M5661530. It served in the Middle East, so it did not travel far in the ten years after WW2. This number would be seen painted on the bonnet and back panel. It was sold off from the Army to "Middle East Local Forces" on 31/3/56.

Once again thanks for posting

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Super thread

It is great to see that this piece of history is still in the family

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Amazing info on the jeep Ade-I'll be sure to pass that on!

Yes,I plan to try to get the photographs restored-some were stuck down on an album and hadn't been removed for many years,others were sadly falling to bits.

I've never had the chance to look at the back of the photographs before and
                      it was quite touching to see the inscriptions on some of the them.
                      (messages sent between my parents while dad was in Egypt-I had no idea he was so romantic ....I'll have to edit this bit before he sees it though).

Edit:Thanks Jack-glad you liked them.

Comment

Hi Niel,
                        nice photo`s thanks for posting
                        Ashley

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X