RAF uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF uniform

I would realy apriciate any info on Squadron leader R.Coates. I have looked up some sites on google, i think he was part of 487 squadron. He did win the DFC. looking for more info or picture or link to site . Regards Paul.

You have his uniform? please show, I'd love to see it

Comment

RAF Tunic

Hi Mike thanks for the reply, here is photo of the tunic and trousers. His name was on calling card in fly/ watch fob pocket. Regards Paul.
      Attached Files

Comment

DFC, AFC !!!!

Wonderful tunic.

You'll find some minimal info about his awards by trawling the London Gazette site. It's a real pain but maybe worth the effort.

Mike

Comment

Paul,

I thought the squadron number sounded familiar. It's a RNZAF unit and was later equipped with Mosquitos.

It also participated in the famous Amiens Prison raid and the attack on the Gestapo HQ at Aarhus, Denmark.

You possibly have a superb piece of history in your possession.

Mike

Comment

Thanks mike i will just have to look up the history books. What sort of value would you put on this tunic . Regards Paul.

Comment

Paul,

I don't like to guess values as there's always someone who'll disagree.

In my opinion, the calling card doesn't provide the same rock-solid provenance as a proper name tag inside the tunic.

It's still a great piece.

No doubt you'll get other opinions over the next day or so.

Mike

Comment

You have the name of the officer and his tunic. With those awards there must be a picture of this officer wearing it. Look in old newspaper files from his home town or even books. There is no way this uniform was not photographed ,in wear, at one point. Those are "Hero" gongs!

Comment

Hi Paul,
                  Sure hope it does indeed belong to that "hero" officer Stunning tunic nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                    Paul,

I thought the squadron number sounded familiar. It's a RNZAF unit and was later equipped with Mosquitos.

It also participated in the famous Amiens Prison raid and the attack on the Gestapo HQ at Aarhus, Denmark.

You possibly have a superb piece of history in your possession.

Mike
                    No NZ service medal ribbon and only Pilot Officer Alan Edward Coates and Squadron Leader George Reginald Coates are mentioned in my New Zealand book "By Such Deeds" (Honours and awards in the RNZAF 1923 - 1999), so it is unlikely to be attributted to a RNZAF unit.

Brent

Comment

Hi Brent , I've seen a no' of named RNZAF named pilot tunics with out the NZ defence ribbon. And 'R' may stand for Reginald as in those days it was very common to take a middle name as a preference....My own father & Grandfather did the same. Then again it could all be put togeather

But I agree, with those ribbons he will be very well documented !

Greg

Comment

Paul,

Just wondering what led you to make the 487 Squadron connection?

Mike

Comment

V.R. Coates

I believe the uniform belonged to V.R. Coates. His serial number is 54395 and he is listed as both V.R. Coates and Ronald Coates in the London Gazette.

He received the DFC in 1944 and the AFC in 1949. He served during the war with 149 Squadron. He achieved the rank of Squadron Leader in 1954.

I suspect that the tunic is just post-war, owing to the "King's crown" wing and the presence of the AFC ribbon. As such the value would be around $300 - $600.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                            Hi Brent , I've seen a no' of named RNZAF named pilot tunics with out the NZ defence ribbon. And 'R' may stand for Reginald as in those days it was very common to take a middle name as a preference....My own father & Grandfather did the same. Then again it could all be put togeather

But I agree, with those ribbons he will be very well documented !

Greg
                            Squadron Leader George Reginald Coates was awarded the DFC but didn't receive the AFC.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X