Shining medals ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shining medals ?

G'day all don't know if this is the right thread to put this in but seeing these are some of my British medals I'm asking about here we go, should I shine/clean my medals up or leave the patina/grime/dust whatever on these medals to retain their originality ?

My medal case also has some slight gaps where dust is able to get in should I periodically clean all this off as well ?

I'm worried if I leave them they will eventually be damaged/pitted.

Cheers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by slayer; 12-30-2011, 01:27 AM.

next,,
    Attached Files

Comment

It seems like for British or commonwealth medals, it's about 50/50 on people wanting them nice and shiny or those that like them to have patina. I'm in the latter.

In TR collecting, it seems cleaning is the ultimate sin. So it's interesting how from one group to another it's become more "acceptable".

I have many British medals, some are black with patina, some are shiny. Doesn't really affect their value IMO.

However, do NOT polish the Victory Medal. You will destroy the gold finish. If you must clean with a soft cloth, but do it very carefully. The dark highlights you see on it are not patina or dirt that comes off. It is the base brass medal where the gold finish has been rubbed off.

Comment

First time try water with soap and very soft brush (soft tooth brush). This metod is very gentle.
        If you want polish, us destilled watter+fine chalk+very soft brush.

Do not use commercial chemical polish!!!

Be very careful.

George

Comment

Amen! However, if you want to gently 'bring up the shine' on silver metal, remove the ribbons and put the medals in a shallow saucer full of tomato ketchup. If you're American. Otherwise, use tomato sauce. The acidic vinegar in the sauce will dissolve silver tarnish without touching the underlying metal. Finish the jib with a warm water rinse and air dry or pat dry - no friction!

As to a less than air tight case, that's usually a good thing, unless you live in a controlled humidity house. Changes in humidity and temperature are easiest on any substance, metal included if they occur gradually, so a not quite airtight case is no bad thing. removing the dust with a feather duster or very soft cloth is good too, as leaving it on the ribbons will eventually discolour them. Try buying a glasses/lens cleaning cloth from your local optometrist for this job.

As you can see, I'm one of the 50% who favour cleaning. Though I tend to leave original ribbons on medals unless the're really ratty and save the ones I take off, I'm not dogmatic about it, as the assumption that an old ribbon is an original ribbon is just that, an assumption. If the gongs were worn a lot, the ratty ribbons may be 2nd or 3rd serts anyway.

Good luck with the medals. Happy New Year!
          Peter

Comment

I believe Peter's comments are for the Silver Medals. As per Victory, a gentle wash in warm soapy water would be the only solution left for that one. Be very careful. Once that gold finish starts to come off .....

Comment

Originally posted by Styblo View Post
              First time try water with soap and very soft brush (soft tooth brush). This metod is very gentle.
              If you want polish, us destilled watter+fine chalk+very soft brush.

Be very careful.

George

We use same or very similar proceduere in my work - http://www.houska-douda.cz/
              http://www.houska-douda.cz/restorati...i-predmety/14/
              http://www.houska-douda.cz/restoration.php?id=12&pid=12

(Sorry, only in Czech)

George

Comment

Cheers for the info guys, but I've decided to leave them as is, I don't want to harm any of the originality on the medals.

Comment

Good call,

in my naive collecting youth i cleaned a trio to a shine and have regretted the rank idiocy i perpetrated ever since....

They have survived happily for almost a century and cared for will last another 100.

Comment

It is a matter of choice. Vets used to get their theatre stars re-plated all the time ( and re-mounted) to put on the legion uniforms. Any silver content medals should be ( my oppinion) treated like coins.

Comment

One more...on my own medals I use a pencil rubber (eraser).

Comment

I'm intrigued how do the medals come up after using the eraser ?

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                        One more...on my own medals I use a pencil rubber (eraser).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X