WW1 War Medal naming question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 War Medal naming question

I just got a US Coast Guard 1928-WW2 medal group and part of it is a British War Medal to the same man as the US Coast Guard Good Conduct. My question is what does the naming mean 4670 ER/2/Cpl J.G.Martin PROV.CPS.A.I.F. Obviously 4670 is his serial number and J.G.Martin is his name but what does the rest mean.
    TIA,
    Garth

Provost Corps Australian Imperial Force

ER/2/Cpl= E xtra R egimental - when someone is posted to a unit that excess numbers of certain rank in - in this case Corporal

Thanks
    Jack

Comment

His 24 page record is available at the National Archives of Australia - from the first page he was from Glasgow, and had served in the Canadian Militia before he joined the AIF - he seems to have got about a bit.

Alistair

Comment

In chance of a picture of the group

Comment

"PROV.CPS.A.I.F." probably means 'Provost Corps' [military police], A.I.F.

Comment

Originally posted by AB64 View Post
            His 24 page record is available at the National Archives of Australia - from the first page he was from Glasgow, and had served in the Canadian Militia before he joined the AIF - he seems to have got about a bit.

Alistair
            Alistair,
            Could you post a link to his records at the archive?
            Thanks,
            Garth

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Harland View Post
              In chance of a picture of the group
              Adam,
              Here are some pictures
              #1 the whole group with the USCG shooting medals and the American Defence Medal with USCG SEA bar. There must be a WW1 Victory Medal kicking around somewhere. The seller didn't have it.
              Attached Files

Comment

The US Coast Guard Good Conduct, the naming style was used by the USCG through the 1930's. The subsequent award bars have the unit or ship name on the obverse and the date of award on the reverse.
                Attached Files

Comment

Rim naming on the War Medal
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mr Martin ended his Coast Guard career as a Warrant Officer Carpenters Mate.
                    Thanks for the all the replies.
                    Garth

Comment

Hi Garth,

I think the 2CPL, denotes that his rank was a Second Corporal. Hence, he would have worn a single chevron as indeed a Lance Corporal; however, being a Second Corporal it gave him full Non-Commissioned Officer status, opposed to an ''appointment'', as such.

The same difference as a Lance Bombardier.

Regards,

Marcus

Comment

Here are a couple of documents from his Australian file that tie the War Medal to his Coast Guard medals. The Victory is missing location unknown.
                        Garth
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X