Unknown Cutlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Cutlass

I bought this yesterday and finally got around to trying to find out what exactly it is. It resembles a 1845 Naval Cutlass but as you can see the grip is made of brass instead of the customary iron. I could find no markings on the blade but HOPE is stamped into the bottom of the brass guard.

The scabbard is original to the blade but has had a drag made for it (poorly) and the throat is likewise poorly replaced.

It's a poser. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by gary cain View Post
    i bought this yesterday and finally got around to trying to find out what exactly it is. It resembles a 1845 naval cutlass but as you can see the grip is made of brass instead of the customary iron. I could find no markings on the blade but hope is stamped into the bottom of the brass guard.

The scabbard is original to the blade but has had a drag made for it (poorly) and the throat is likewise poorly replaced.

It's a poser. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here you go.....read this....this should fix you up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_ship_Hope_(1559)
      Thats a really old cutlass, and likely very few are in existance left from this ship. Great find....and a historical treasure for sure...Congrats on a great scoop related to drake....
      Last edited by juoneen; 12-29-2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I doubt its that old more like early 1800's I am sure I must have a picture of one I will have a look and report back . Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Its A british Naval 1850 pattern cutlass . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks Robb,

I was thinking it was around that date.

Cheers
            Gary

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
            Its A british Naval 1850 pattern cutlass . Rob

Comment

There has 16 ships in the RN named Hope two of which would fit the time span if this is an 1850 pattern. One was launched in 1813, a 10-gun tender, renamed in 1863 and served 'til 1880. The other was launched in 1824, a 3-gun brig that was broken up in 1882. There was a destroyer launched in 1910 and sold in 1920 but the sword pattern was probably changed by then.

Comment

There was a destroyer launched in 1910 and sold in 1920 but the sword pattern was probably changed by then

It is a cutlass worn by a seaman, for boarding parties, rather than a commissioned officer's sword and I suspect that the command 'Away allboarders!' had pretty much gone out of use by 1910, so the 1824 or 1813 HMS Hope are your best bet.

Comment

Thanks for running down the ships for me. Very helpful!

Gary

Originally posted by Dave Alexander View Post
                  There has 16 ships in the RN named Hope two of which would fit the time span if this is an 1850 pattern. One was launched in 1813, a 10-gun tender, renamed in 1863 and served 'til 1880. The other was launched in 1824, a 3-gun brig that was broken up in 1882. There was a destroyer launched in 1910 and sold in 1920 but the sword pattern was probably changed by then.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X