Lightweight rain cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight rain cap

Has anyone seen this type of cape before? It is made from light rubberised cotton similar to the early war non sticky anti-gas cape. It has two vertical slits so that the hand can be used in a similar manner to the tropical monsoon cap, although this is much lighter and doesn’t have the buttoning straps attached to the collar. It is WD marked N and also has a manufacturers mark.
    Any ideas of who it might have bee issued to would be great.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The big black stamp looks like an"/|\" and "O.F.".

My idea it could be an (Royal) Ordonance Factory item?
        Those clothing also wear WD inspection marks, but are made for the workers in the factories.
        Mostly they are in a less quality then the army issue items as it is supposed to be works-garnments.
        I have seen a simmular coat years ago on one of the piles in Beltring, but decided not to buy it as it wore the ROF markings.

Comment

PS: how much would an early type gascape be worth nowadays ? Do they ever show up?

Comment

I got mine of a mate 2 years ago for £100, because he had two of them off a car boot sale for 50p eash!

Originally posted by Naaficook View Post
            PS: how much would an early type gascape be worth nowadays ? Do they ever show up?

Comment

Originally posted by nickwall View Post
              I got mine of a mate 2 years ago for £100, because he had two of them off a car boot sale for 50p eash!

Comment

"I got mine of a mate 2 years ago for £100, because he had two of them off a car boot sale for 50p eash!

Nothing wrong with making a modest profit. He doesn't happen to work for a bank as his day job, does he?

Comment

I did not mind one bit, I would have paid a lot more for such a rare bit of gas kit.

Comment

But back to topic.... do you agree with my opinion about the rain cape?

Comment

Yes, back to topic. I am not familiar with OF stamps and this is what it looks like. However it did come with army officer kit and it does look quite military.

Does anyone have any ordinance factory items they can show?

Comment

HI there is a similar type camo version for sale at www.grandads-kitbag.com the buttons look the same ?
                        regards GEORGE .

Comment

Thanks GEORGE. The coat you are referring to is of a type I have not seen before ether, the camouflage is nothing like I have seen. They could be examples of many different types produced though out the war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X