Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordnance...what is it?

Hi Folks,

Came across a brass shell a couple days ago. It's about 3 feet long and 4-5 inches in diameter with what appears to be a broad arrow mark on the base. I only had a few seconds to view it and don't have photos.

Any of you into Commonwealth artillery who may have a guess as to what this is and possible value? Appeared to be in very fine condition.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Stu

If it has a broad arrow then it is British or Commonwealth and an exact measurement of the diameter should tell you what piece it is meant for - a 4" gun, a 5" gun or whatever. Armed with that info. you can figure out what calibre was used - 4" howitzer, 5" naval cannon ... You get the idea.

Shell casings are always interesting but usually don't cost much because, after all, what do you do with one, unless you collect artillery stuff. They're not very photogenic and unless tied by crystal clear provenance to a specific battle, battery or gun don't reallt have a lot of appeal for most - just too generic.

Interesting puzzle, though.

Comment

Thanks for the info Peter. I think I'll see if I can get more info and a pic or two.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X