Sexy Sadie Mug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexy Sadie Mug?

Hi I would like to know if anyone has information on this beer stein I picked up.I have never seen one like it and thought it was cool.Can you tell what type cap badge it is and era? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

3-4
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The cap looks like a British side cap, typically worn by offciers, especially in the cavalry, in the 1890s, going into abeyance after about 1900 but re-introduced for officers undress wear after WWI and still worn by british cavalry [armoured] units. The 10th [Prince of Wales Own] Hussars wore the three plumes which were the heraldic mark of the POW and are clearly the badge on this cap.

Here's some info. on the potter: The firm of Ridgway was started by Job Ridgway in 1794. The Cauldon factory was built in 1802. John Ridgway & Co. from 1814. ... The firm said 'to have rivalled Wedgewood' once in fame, is still in existance and operates in Ashton, Stoke on Trent.

So, a beer mug for the offciers mess of the 10th [POW] Hussars. Pick a period you like! Actually, I'd guess earlier rather than later - unlikely to be post WWII, based on the hair style, but I'm no expert. try searching it on the antique chine sites.

Merry Christmas!

Peter
        Last edited by peter monahan; 12-26-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

That Ridgeways mark was used from 1892 when it was introduced to comply with the Mckinley tarif act for the importation of goods into the U.S. and was replaced in 1922 with "Ridgeways Made in England",the hairstyles are Edwardian so pre WW1.Roger

Comment

Excellent 'narrowing it down', RMR!

BTW, you might want to get a valuation on it in case, God forbid, it gets dropped, lost or stolen!

Peter

Comment

Thanks for all of the information guys very helpful. I did not even realize it was her hair.I thought it was a hat.I also did not think good looking women were made until the mid 20th century.Wonders never cease.

Comment

Hi it's just come to me what those girls are called it's Gibson girls,google it and have a look or try this link.Roger http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gib...w=1280&bih=581

Comment

Well done, that man! She certainly does look like a Gibson Girl, doesn't she? So Roger may well have narrowed the period even further to, probably, 1895-1910ish.

Comment

Yes she does look like a Gibson girl which are in the same time frame.It is interesting how an item found in an antique store can turn out so interesting.Thanks again for all the great help guys.It will go in the permanent collection,never have seen another one (Plus she's so good looking which always helps)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X