Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parachute harness?

Hi everyone.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this?It's not mine but have been asked to sell it on e-bay by a friend.
    It consists of a 17" "yolk", that has two huge sturdy, but unstamped,"belts" 84" with 23 eyelits.On top of the yolk in blue ink, is F/O WATT.
    The only markings I could barely make out is on the brass buckles, H? R N M

It was suggested that it was part of flight harness, or perhaps a carrying/drop strap for personal field gear.This is because it came with a canvas,wooden supported "footbath"? and shave sink that cleverly fits into the wooden apperatus.A canvas/webbed,(hole in it) water bucket and a roorkhee chair.(all this stuff dated '44,'45,).

The item will probably end up on e-bay, and cut-up to make 50 german chinstraps or something, which would be a shame.I would at least like it to go to somebody who would appreciate it for what it is,-whatever that may be!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi, the strap you have is for an officers bed roll. These officers field items were private purchase. Some were in tan canvas, others a bilious light green shade. With the F/O rank this would have been owned by an RAF Flying Officer.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,
      Thanks for the info, mystery solved.Thankyou.

Comment

I forgot to add a set like that would sell for between £25 and £45 depending on who was selling it.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for the tip,-Is that for the harness alone? or the whole list of items together?

Also was wondering if you or anybody had a photo of this type of harness in use? There is no bedroll but all the other items fit into a kitbag that does seem to line up with the harness, so that it would be comfortable hanging in front, supported by the back of neck?

Comment

The price would be for the lot. It would not be designed to be carried. But would have been carried in unit transport.

But I could picture "Baldrick" from "Blackadder goes forth" weighed down by it all

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

LOL, thanks.Although I'm feeling a bit guilty at the moment.I have already listed the roorkhee chair as a seperate, and it's sitting at £99 ! - I don't want to rip any one off,...I don't really want to cancel the auction though.......are these chairs really common?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

Ah... No need to feel guilty. That is much nicer that the ones that you normally see, although I think you are doing very well on it

This is a well made item and would have been a fair price when new.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks, it is pretty good and I reckon whoever gets it won't be dissapointed.The photo does it no justice.

Thankyou again,

Col

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X