Failsworth Pith Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failsworth Pith Helmets

I'm looking for background information about the flat-topped Failsworth helmets that are regularly seen on the market, typically dated 1942 and occasionally attributed as South African (even though Failsworth is in England). I'm not talking about the Wolseley design pith helmet also made by Failsworth, but the style shown in the attached photo.

An interesting note: I contacted the Failsworth Hat Compnay a while back and they had no idea that the company made pith helmets during the war! No recollection, no records, zip.

Anyway, after seeing one sold on eBay attributed as "worn captured by Germans in North Africa" I decided to ask the group here. Because I've never seen any photos of British in North Africa wearing these, much less Germans. Any information appreciated as usual... mine came from an antique store 20 years ago for $5 in heavily used condition.

Jim
    Attached Files

nice, and hey i live in failsworth where they were made

Comment

Check images of Polo, as I seem to remember a similar helmet being worn.

Marc

Comment

If this is the type without a dome vent in the top, as you say British made for the South Africans, commonly called a polo helmet and not officially used by any armed forces to my knowledge. I saw the example on ebay which went for over £100, and if you say it is DAK, that is enough for some people to waste their money, IMO. I think they must have mistaken it for the Dutch/SA type helmet seen in early pics of the DAK, which were issued to the Germans in some quantity. They have the four air vent holes along each side like the example you posted, but also have a dome vent.

Regards,

Jerry
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X