RAF Gaiters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Gaiters?

Few years ago I bouth in New Zealand pair of gaittres. They are same as for typical british infantry ww2 uniform, but grey/blue color, dated 1942. Are they from RAF? What troops used them? Was it possible to mix: khaki uniform and grey/blue gaittres? Any more info?

Hi Mietek, your gaiters would have been worn by the "RAF Regiment". They provided airfield security in WW2. They wore a mixture of RAF and Army kit. So it was posible to see khaki battledress with blue/grey webbing equipment.
    Some webbing was coloured using "Blanco" a paste which was scrubbed onto the webbing to change the colour; other items were factory dyed blue.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Adrian!!!

Thank's a lot . Do you know, also Poles in RAF used them?
      Do you have maybe some pictures of "RAF Regiment"? However I think it is not easy to see color differences on the black and white pictures.

Best regards

mietek

Comment

Hi Mietek, it might be possible that some Poles wore blue webbing gear. But I feel this would be very rare. Most Poles serving with the RAF or Free Polish Air Force would have no need to wear gaiters, being flight crews or ground crews working on the aircraft.

I will have a look for some photos for you. I have no orignials, so I will have to search my books.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X