Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Navy WWII medals

Hi All
    This fellow emailed me and I would like to help him out because my father served in the Canadian Merchant Navy during the war and I believe these medals would probably be inexpensive to acquire. He wants to purchase a set for his wife for Christmas because as you read on a former family member took the originals. I am not up to snuff on Canadian medals and need help in surmising what the group of four medals would have consisted of? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. His email is below.
    Steve

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> My wife's father volunteered at age 17 and joined the Canadian Navy. He served on the Prince Robert and was stationed in Vancouver and was then posted to the Atlantic patrolling the North Sea and the Mediterranean. He was awarded four medals for his service. His second wife would not give them up when he passed away and my wife has mentioned a number of times that she would like the medals to remember him by.

I can't get her the originals, but she would be thrilled to have a set to reminder her of him anyway.

You would be more familiar with what medals would be in the set than I would.

He volunteered.
    He trained in the Pacific (Vancouver)
    He served in the North Atlantic (gunnery mate)
    He served in the Mediterranean.

Steve, you have any idea of the time frame he spent at these different posts. I think most could throw a list of stars he'd be entitled to .. but better safe than sorry.

Comment

not sure

Hi Darrell
      I am not sure and I know it is a little confusing. I am assuming Volunteer medal, War service medal and Atlantic as well as African Star because he only trained in BC? I don't really think they are to picky but I will try to find out more if I can

Steve

Comment

Why not have your wife contact Veterans Affairs Canada and get her father's entitlements direct from the source?
        http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collec...als/infomedals

Also, here is the list of service stars from VAC, if you'd rather guess
        http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collec...als/ww11medals

Comment

He would most likely be entitled to the 39-45 Star, Atlantic Star (possibly with the France Germany Bar ), Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and the 39-45 War Medal

Comment

Well if he served in the Mediterranean even for a day he would be entitled to the 'Africa Star' or perhaps the 'Italy Star'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X