Binoculars-British? Era? Purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binoculars-British? Era? Purpose?

found these at a local flea market for five bucks. The case is leather, most of the straps are damaged. Inside is lined with a purple velvet. the only marked on the case is a stamped 'Made in England'. The glasses themselves are more interesting, they are leather wrapped and do not flod/widen in the center as with standard binoculars, but are rather set permenantly in place, with the exception that the eye pieces can 'telescope' in and out. They are marked 'War Department' Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about these???
    Attached Files

markings
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brig, I would say that they are WW1 in period juding by the design?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Brig,

I agree with Ade and a bargain at 5 bucks !!!

Is there a maker name on the bottom of the case impressed into the leather at all ?

A very nice find.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

no maker. are we sure it's British and not just made in Britain for someone else?

Comment

Yes they are 100% British and would not be for export due to the "War Office" marking.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

wow, not a bad find then

Comment

I have a question regarding non-prismatic pinoculars as above.

They were manufactured before ww1, possible during and just after.

Do you have any pictures of non-prismatic binocuras used during ww2?

Till now I was able to find such confirmations of their usage:
                - one pair is in museum in London, used by British officer in Singapore, captured by Japanese, and recaptured by British.
                - one pair was on the picture from fight in Greece.
                - another used by ARP, or Air Warden in London.
                - many pairs of them were on the picture which shows donations from Barbados to UK (together with some telescopes).
                - I know also that one pair of this type was claimed as used in Afrika by the soldier of 8th Army.

Do you have any other sources which could confirm usage of non-prismatic binoculars during ww2?

Comment

My two cents worth here. This is a lovely pair of binocs.! However, if they were made for the Br. forces I'd expect a "broad arrow" stamp and more markings.

I'd say, from the look that they are early 20th century but with the single "War Office" stamp I wonder whether they might be civilian glasses donated to the WO at the outbreak of war. If so, they'd likely have been used by ARP or other UK based units.

Again, for kit issued to troops in France, etc, I'd expect a lot more markings, post manufacture or when made.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
                    However, if they were made for the Br. forces I'd expect a "broad arrow" stamp and more markings.
                    Peter
                    Not always, binoculars were private purchase by officers, many manufacturers produced them. War Office might indicate that they are made according to military specifications.

I have one pair marked "Mk V wide /I\", but most are without markings, or with written on them "Army and Navy" or "Royal Regiment", but without arrows.
                    I have over 10 pairs of non-prismatic binocs. Some of them British, other French, but with markings in English.

Last Sunday I bought one more pair, with P37 webbing strap attached.

Comment

Mietek

I stand corrected! It was aguess, and clearly not a good one. Cheers.

Peter

Comment

The war office mark is early don't be surprised if these are BOER WAR

Paul

Comment

Earliest binculars of this type I have seen dated 1864, but was it manufacturing date or date of company establishment, I'm not sure.

I chacked again, I have also one pair marked "military regulations".

Comment

BOER War?

Comment

Around boer wars.
                              Yours are similar to MKV. MKV were produced between 1888 and 1911, but were made for civilian market till 20's.

Regarding Peter's remark about donation. Civilan binoculars donated/bought and used by the army during ww1 had additional classification that indicate their type and quality.
                              Galilean bioculars were marked as S.3 - high grade, S.4 second grade binoculars.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X