For the medals enthusiast: some from the Canadian War Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the medals enthusiast: some from the Canadian War Museum

After my last visit to the CWM, I posted some medals in the Collectors Community Forum. Here are some interesting ones that I missed or weren't on display at that time.

This is a VC group to Sergeant Frederick Hobson. He was a British veteran of the Boer War who enlisted in the 20th Canadian Infantry Battalion. On August 18th, 1917, during the German counter-attack at Hill 70, Hobson, although wounded, advanced to meet the attacking enemy and fought them with bayonet and by clubbing them with his rifle until he was killed. The attack was ultimately repulsed.
    Attached Files

The Dickin Medal, also known as the "Animal VC". This is the only one ever awarded to a Canadian animal. This one is to Gander, the mascot of The Royal Rifles of Canada during the defence of Hong Kong. Gander was a Newfoundland dog that, on 19 December 1941 during the ferocious hand-to-hand fighting at Lye Mun, rushed to the aid of seven wounded Canadians. A Japanese grenade landed in their midst and Gander took it in his mouth and raced away a short distance before it exploded, killing him but saving the soldiers. Interesting to note, that the Winnipeg Grenadiers won a VC on the same day in much the same fashion. Company Sergeant-Major John Osborn, during the defence of Mount Butler, threw back Japanese hand grenades that were landing in his position. When one landed in such a way that he could not pick it up, he dove on the grenade and was killed instantly.
    Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if my dog would do that for me...

Comment

Mmmm nice gongs indeed!

I remember seeing the VC groups when I was there and was very much awed by the medal room at the CWM...I'm sure the new one will be even more impressive...

Was David Hornell's VC on display? I have a particular interest in that one as he and his brothers were contemporaries of my grandmother and great aunt...they all grew up in Mimico (now part of Etobicoke) and I have found photos of the Hornells among my family's old photographs.

I don't remember seeing the Dickin medal when I was there...of course I may have been distracted by all the VCs and other very impressive groups...was it a more recent acquisition by the museum?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Hornell's medals were not to be seen - but quite a few were missing - so I'm sure they're currently being moved. I'm hoping the new medals room is better than the one they have now - the lighting is incredibly poor, and the collection is very impressive.

The Dickin medal wasn't there the last time I visited, which was in October. All the information plaque said was that it was a gift from the Hong Kong Veteran's Association of Canada. I know they do rotate their medals from time to time - and this one wasn't in the medals room, it was in the WW2 section.

Funny you mention Mimico, I just bought a house there and will be moving (ugh!) in 2 weeks.

Comment

A Naval CGM that could have been a VC...

This is the CGM group awarded to CPO Max Bernays, of HMCS Assiniboine, for his part in the sinking of U-210 in August, 1942.

I won't relay the whole story to you, suffice it to say that he was recommended for a VC at several levels for this action. The full story can be found here:

CPO Max Bernays, CGM
            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X